Oregon depth gauge not as marked 0.025" (0.63mm)

David Heaf

I have two depth gauges marked 0.025" (0.63mm), one an Oregon (part no 21830) and the other a Dolmar (complete with bar slot cleaner hook). Neither are noticeably worn. I noticed that more of the chain's depth gauge (raker) projects with the Oregon one. So it set me measuring them with digital calipers and a straight edge. The Oregon one was 0.45 mm and the Dolmar 0.40 mm. So neither of them were the stated 0.63 mm and thus result in a shallower depth of cut.

Has anyone else looked into this issue? Does a loss of at least 0.18 mm in cutting depth make much difference? Does anyone check their depth gauges to verify whether they are as stated?

4 minutes ago, Rough Hewn said:

Yes and yes.
A proper chain setup is very important.

I tend to file the rakers to suit the conditions  ....Soft wood low hard wood not so . When I said no and no it was to the question " has any body looked into the fact that the pressed steel gauge is a tad inaccurate...... 

Edited by Stubby
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Rough Hewn said:

0.18 mm is more than 25% of your cutting depth

So there's a case for grinding a commercially available depth gauge tool to the correct 0.63 mm depth.

I've been using the Dolmar one that is rated 0.63mm but is 0.40 mm actual, for 37 years and had no cause to complain. The saw is 70cc so would no doubt cope with the proper depth of cut.

• Like 1

Not looked into it in any great depth,  but similar to you I had been using a Stihl depth gauge and moved on to Oregon (new chain maintenance kit) and noticed the Oregon depth gauge was suggesting I file more off of the rakers. ... I didn't follow it up to find out which was in error. Might be worth a measure of a new chain,  although i guess there is no guarantee that is correct.

45 minutes ago, Joe Newton said:

So why after 37 years is this suddenly an issue. 

I'm pretty anal about sharpening but this is a bit much even for me. 

I don't think it is a issue . Like you I adjust it until it cuts well .  Usually 2 stokes on the rakers every 3rd sharpen .

Edited by Stubby