Experience

Morphmel

Hi guys. 

Random question... I'm literally just starting out in the ARB world and having no previous experience.. His the hell am I supposed to suit a creditable CV?

Many job adverts I have looked at want mine 2 years climbing experience.

I have quite a few months left before I actually need a job placement so hoping you guys could assist with some words of wisdom?

Somerset area BTW.

Or find a company looking for a climber and just go for it, they can only sack you... I was read the "through the ranks" act a ton of times on here and it damped my spirits a bit, I didn't want to drag brash for 5 years before putting a harness on, noones got time for that as an adult. So I just advertised myself as a climber, I've been working full time arb for 2 months and I'm now climbing every day. Just be honest about your experience level.

• Like 3

Maybe look at the options as an apprentice,although id imagine the financial remuneration package would be pitiful.

You could apply for second climber positions,mostly ground work but you will climb now and again.

Just be honest with your potential employer but stress how keen and hardworking you are.Most will take a punt on you for at least a couple of shifts to see if your up to the job.

If yoy do get a couple of shifts with someone be on the ball,when you pull up to the job,put the cones and signs out,get all the saws/blower topped up with fuel-dont stand still keep busy and ffs DONT fanny around on your phone.

Good luck mate

• Like 1

Forgot too say,sometimes you'll have too travel to where the work is,london seems to be a hotbed of potential employment just now.

Working away monday to friday and going home at weekends may be the way forward if your to find a good employer who will invest in you as a future team leader/climber.

• Like 1

your C.V is all your education and jobs ect to date it doesnt have to be arb related ,. a guy got a trainee job where i work and he had no manual work experience at all, just office stuff and a degree, put in a good covering letter, got the job and was a great worker.

where there,s a will there,s a way.

and whilst draggin brash one can always look around and learn and ask questions, plus if you put your back into it it shows your new boss what your made of and in a good company that can pay dividends later on when you want more training or a chance to climb etc.

carl. 

i'm not worried about travelling for work.  

London on the other hand !!!!

The hints and tips you have given will definitely be heeded, and I hate it when guys stand around on their phones or looking out of place as not doing anything.

As I said,I luckily have a few months of courses to complete first before actually securing a job. 

Or find a company looking for a climber and just go for it, they can only sack you... I was read the "through the ranks" act a ton of times on here and it damped my spirits a bit, I didn't want to drag brash for 5 years before putting a harness on, noones got time for that as an adult. So I just advertised myself as a climber, I've been working full time arb for 2 months and I'm now climbing every day. Just be honest about your experience level.
This approach worked for me... Now I'm the main climber on our team...

But as stressed above.. If u still don't feel 100% be transparent and honest. Never compromise safety its just not worth it.