Study tour of the Basque region Trees

David Humphries

Those bee tree pollards are amazing :thumbup:

I would never have guessed why they had the cavities deliberately formed without Ted "don't know, tell me about it" Green explaining about the creation of honey bee habitat.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Those bee tree pollards are amazing :thumbup:

I would never have guessed why they had the cavities deliberately formed without Ted "don't know, tell me about it" Green explaining about the creation of honey bee habitat.

Think it speaks volumes about stopping just looking at these things, and start 'reading them'

Good day yesterday, didn't fancy the hospitality then ?

Think it speaks volumes about stopping just looking at these things, and start 'reading them'

Good day yesterday, didn't fancy the hospitality then ?

I always fancy a free lunch :sneaky2:. Did you stock up on the quiche and volauvents?

However, work commitments meant I had a perfect excuse to not be social :biggrin:. I wasn't hiding from Becky either, as I'm now legitimately an LA subby (do you like how I dropped it in there that I've got a proper job again :lol:? OPMing for Ealing / FC).

I woul have like to have spoken to Jill as I was interested in how she saw adhoc data being able to inform LA stratagy.

I always fancy a free lunch :sneaky2:.

(do you like how I dropped it in there that I've got a proper job again :lol:? OPMing for Ealing / FC).I woul have like to have spoken to Jill as I was interested in how she saw adhoc data being able to inform LA stratagy.

Congrats :thumbup:

Tree Conservation areas, mmmmmm......................... now that sounds like an uphill struggle.

hats off to Jill & all concerned though, they truly are passionate.

Thought the progressional shots of the 'Arthur Clough' Oak were pretty inspiring.

Did ya close your eyes for Neville then, did ya ? :lol:

Thought the progressional shots of the 'Arthur Clough' Oak were pretty inspiring.

Did ya close your eyes for Neville then, did ya ? :lol:

That sounds sooooooo wrong! :lol:

I knew I'm not so shabby at this tree reading thing when I predicted that that's exactly how the oak would respond. That was an excellent set of photos - perhaps one of us should see about getting them posted on here :sneaky2:?

I knew I'm not so shabby at this tree reading thing when I predicted that that's exactly how the oak would respond. That was an excellent set of photos - perhaps one of us should see about getting them posted on here :sneaky2:?

I'll have a look for them or will ask Neville if I can get a set.

It was pretty obvious, but I was really impressed that such an open grown (schredded, but top crown heavy) tree, actually survived through that century, and that someone/somepeople had the foresight to recorded it for us :thumbup1::thumbup1:

Ive missed something here havent I!

Yep !

bee tree pollards ... the cavities deliberately formed ... the creation of honey bee habitat.

Janey & David,

From my own experience, I can report, that this "honey bee habitat creation" also is common practice in certain parts of Turkey and I have seen it done in Greece and on Cyprus too. In Turkey it is not only done for the collection of honey, but trees standing close to orchards (peach, apricot, almond, apple) are also used as an alternative for bee hives, when there are not enough "bee nomads" - family groups of people travelling in the mountainous areas with their tents and hives visiting the orchards to have their bees pollinating the flowers - around.

Janey & David,

From my own experience, I can report, that this "honey bee habitat creation" also is common practice in certain parts of Turkey and I have seen it done in Greece and on Cyprus too. In Turkey it is not only done for the collection of honey, but trees standing close to orchards (peach, apricot, almond, apple) are also used as an alternative for bee hives, when there are not enough "bee nomads" - family groups of people travelling in the mountainous areas with their tents and hives visiting the orchards to have their bees pollinating the flowers - around.

I know a friend who would love this story line, a ver NI style to it:001_cool:

david, if youve details post em in the NI group:thumbup: