550xp in the workshop

billpierce

9 minutes ago, Mark_Skyland said:

Had the same not long ago on a newish 550xp. Split air filter causing a worn piston and ring on that intake side. All it needed was a new piston kit, some gaskets, and a new filter. Back too new.

Unfortunately I to have seen many like this. Not an issue on the 72 tho which is good! 

You will have to go to Dickinson’s in Hexham mate [emoji6] surely just a new ring will fix it ?? I may even have a spare 550 ring but it’s possibly not a genuine one will check in the morning.

I know I just can't bare spending money there! Will if Steven has something.

Generally though is there a husky equivalent of l and s?

Just now, MattyF said:

I have never seen it on 550’s and 60’s before , so the 560 I’ve just rebuilt and the others should have had sealant as well as gaskets in place ?

That is up to you, my personal opinion is no, I rebuild them with a light smear of grease on the base gasket and that’s it. You can buy the sealant if you wish. Only a small amount is needed near the exhaust and the inlet manifold. It’s been factory fit for a year at least now. 

• Like 1

That is up to you, my personal opinion is no, I rebuild them with a light smear of grease on the base gasket and that’s it. You can buy the sealant if you wish. Only a small amount is needed near the exhaust and the inlet manifold. It’s been factory fit for a year at least now. 

Thanks , will bear the grease in mind in the future!

Pretty sure Steven said he can get parts ,If you want to take the risk though I’m sure I have a meteor ring I can drop off at Stevens for you. Personally I would rather put a genuine one in though.

Thanks Matty, not had any issues with the caber/ meteor ones before but seeing as they are only a 10er or so and it's a pals saw will prob stick a oem one on. Appreciate the offer.

Also thanks for all the help everyone! Go team Arbtalk!

Blimey, missed all the fun:(

At least you have found the reason for failure and seen the sealant on many saws now and usually use similar on reassembly to make up for the large unclamped areas around the lower transfers. 

The carbon on the piston is probably caused by the filthy air filter causing the saw to run rich despite the AT probably trying to compensate - I am seeing more and more poor maintenance causing severe running issues like this on all saw types.