Why isn't my 'E' Stop working?

eggsarascal

Help. My Emergency Stop switch as stoped working, there is also a low water level cut off switch on my machine that is wired into the same switch.

Today I ran out of water but the engine didn't cut out, filled back up with water and tried the e stop, that didn't work either. I've tested the switch and it's working (open/closed circuit).

I'm guessing that both the switchs go to the coil to 'ground' it?

Ive run out of daylight now but I could do with a few pointers as to what to look for tomorrow.

Any help about?

Ta.

3 minutes ago, Daniël Bos said:

Hmmm
What machine are we talking about Mr Egg?

Oh yeah, that would help wouldn't it.:$

It's my drain jetter, engine is Briggs and Stratton Vanguard 20hp v twin.

everything is working fine, engine is sweet, pump is producing correct pressure. It's just that the low level water switch in the tank, ( there to stop the pump running-dry), and the e stop have stopped working. I don't know if they have failed at the same time because I never use or check the e stop, (I know!).

First I knew of it was when I ran out of water today and the engine kept running.

14 hours ago, Stubby said:

They maybe short to somewhere on the chassis/engine casing  to cut the spark .  Perhaps a bit of a clean up in that area ?

Morning Stubby.

yes it looks like it does ground to the engine casing but there are two switches linked into the same circuit. One goes to the block and the other is in the wiring loom, guess I'll have to split the loom to see what is going on. After I've finished my Saturday morning chores.

On 18/11/2017 at 09:39, billpierce said:

Agree I would say there us a broken wire or poor connectuon on the earth/stop switch somewhere meaning it can't switch off. Got a multimeter?

Checked it with a multimeter yesterday. Seems I've got continuity between all connections. E stop is button is working and so is the low level switch. I think it's time to get someone to have a look at it.

Please report back when you discover the issue as I have a couple of these vanguard engines, would be nice to know if it's a common fault with an easy fix or preventative measure. Especially as one is on a cs100 chipper and the e stop not working on that would be catastrophic potentially.