Brexit ! what will this mean ? ( lets get a good thread going )

digaholedumper

25 minutes ago, Vespasian said:

Its like an arborist, its much easier for him to work in his local town than to work in the next town down the road..   its just that much easier when you think about it.  

Yeah, good point. It's well known after Brexit the UK will be towed away from the European coast. I just hope we get towed somewhere warm! Maybe off Australia.

44 minutes ago, Vespasian said:

People might scoff at the Roman Empire, but remember for those living in it, it meant peace..

Peace is such a subjective term. Attlee 'negotiated 'Peace' but thankfully  others saw peace under subjugation as unacceptable!

The Roman Empire required an awful lot of military manpower to ensure peace and unity, a bit like the Third Reich, Russia, China, North Korea..... Starting to see a trend appearing here?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Vespasian said:

We should stay in the EU because its good for business..  You know, that little thing that keeps everyone employed..

Though it isn't the main reason why I like the EU,  its enough of a reason not to want to leave..  I like the EU myself because being in it inculcates in us a sharred sense of destiny. a  brotherhood of nations not unlike the times when Europe was united under the Caesars....

You see Matelot, I'm into that sort of thing, looking at events on the grand scale... thinking  big, thinking outside the box..

I wouldn't want history to see us as that spiteful nation on the edge of Europe who took their ball away because they couldn't get their way...

Mr Bolam

Yes you're right, to the victor goes the spoils....  america won we lost....   get rid of your empire and stand on your own two feet... Churchill was a genius... 

The problem with looking outside of the box is you dont know what you are looking for, sometimes the answer is in front of you in the box a bit like when you needed scissors instead of a knife, simple really.

If we strike a free trade agreement with the EU on our exit vesp, do you think business will carry on as is?

I think business will carry on as is regardless because at its core and most basic it is the likes of me selling to you not gov to gov I have bills to pay as will you.

We will still be climbing on a multitude of ropes and stihl and husky saws will still be readily available we will not be confined to marlow and bow saws. 

• Like 1

As a side note, I heard a whisper 2018 will be the last year diesel chippers (not sure if it applies to all plant) can be made to run without a DPF filter due to EU environmental demands. 

Red Diesel doesn’t work well with DPF it forever clogs the filter soooo white diesel it is then! Oh Joy thanks EU. 

40 minutes ago, matelot said:

Yeah, good point. It's well known after Brexit the UK will be towed away from the European coast. I just hope we get towed somewhere warm! Maybe off Australia.

Ha, if only.   or better still, tow Australia off our coast with the proviso they have to bring the weather..

24 minutes ago, Gary Prentice said:

Peace is such a subjective term. Attlee 'negotiated 'Peace' but thankfully  others saw peace under subjugation as unacceptable!

The Roman Empire required an awful lot of military manpower to ensure peace and unity, a bit like the Third Reich, Russia, China, North Korea..... Starting to see a trend appearing here?

Yea, you're not far off the mark with that observation..   I'm more interested in how a countries run than who runs it.   benevolent dictator has always seems like a better idea..   till it comes to a replacement,  errm...  how to pick a leader with all the right qualities?..

Democracy's OK but it ain't perfect..   look at brexit for evidence of that..   

1 minute ago, Vespasian said:

Yea, you're not far off the mark with that observation..   I'm more interested in how a countries run than who runs it.   benevolent dictator has always seems like a better idea..   till it comes to a replacement,  errm...  how to pick a leader with all the right qualities?..

Democracy's OK but it ain't perfect..   look at brexit for evidence of that..   

Why dont you emigrate to North Korea or Russia, sounds like it may be your cup of tea. 

• Haha 1

27 minutes ago, WesD said:

The problem with looking outside of the box is you dont know what you are looking for, sometimes the answer is in front of you in the box a bit like when you needed scissors instead of a knife, simple really.

If we strike a free trade agreement with the EU on our exit vesp, do you think business will carry on as is?

I think business will carry on as is regardless because at its core and most basic it is the likes of me selling to you not gov to gov I have bills to pay as will you.

We will still be climbing on a multitude of ropes and stihl and husky saws will still be readily available we will not be confined to marlow and bow saws. 

Ah, but I do know what I'm looking for..   I'm looking for a united Europe at peace with itself.   a strong Europe that protects its borders and interests...

A Europe capable of projecting military power beyond its borders..

1 minute ago, Vespasian said:

Ah, but I do know what I'm looking for..   I'm looking for a united Europe at peace with itself.   a strong Europe that protects its borders and interests...

Over the last few years has Europe "protected it's borders"? IMHO, we wouldn't have voted Brexit if Merkel hadn't invited the third world into Europe.

• Like 1