Using Climbing Gear From The States In The Uk

Leyburn Lad

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What about an American with American gear OSHA approved?

Is that comparable to this loller and CE?

And do people really walk onto tree jobs and check certs and gear?

Yes, it's the same sort of thing.

In my 12 years of tree work experience I have never known of anyone to walk on to site and ask for any certs - of any description. This also goes for the other tree surgeons that I know in my area. Obviously other people on this forum have different experiences, I can only guess that it varies from area to area.

I can only guess that it varies from area to area.

Well, Cornwall is still in the Dark Ages! :awink:

I have worked on sites, usually construction sites, where they require copies of all staff's tickets, plus a risk assessment, method statement, and a site induction before you can even start a saw.

All time billed to the client of course.

If there is no first aider and first aid kit on site, nothing happens until one is found.

i think with saws if there was an issue you could actually just order the uk decals for it! (i know huskys ipls gnerally list the part nos for the stickers) then they wouldnt know if it was uk/us saw without going back to the manufacturers with serial numbers

Yes, it's the same sort of thing.

In my 12 years of tree work experience I have never known of anyone to walk on to site and ask for any certs - of any description. This also goes for the other tree surgeons that I know in my area. Obviously other people on this forum have different experiences, I can only guess that it varies from area to area.

Must be an area thing,in 14 years i can think of at least 4 occasions when the HSE as just come on to site and checked gear ect,on one occasion we were working in a private garden next to a hospital and the HSE had been in the hospital to take a statement from someone how was being treated,they saw us working and just came to check us out.

Well, Cornwall is still in the Dark Ages! :awink:

I have worked on sites, usually construction sites, where they require copies of all staff's tickets, plus a risk assessment, method statement, and a site induction before you can even start a saw.

All time billed to the client of course.

If there is no first aider and first aid kit on site, nothing happens until one is found.

First of all, being told that Cornwall is still in the dark ages by a Northener is a bit of a joke!:hahaha:

Secondly, I think working on a construction site is slightly different to 2 or 3 men spending a day cutting a tree down in someones back garden - not exactly crawling with H&S people.

Must be an area thing,in 14 years i can think of at least 4 occasions when the HSE as just come on to site and checked gear ect,on one occasion we were working in a private garden next to a hospital and the HSE had been in the hospital to take a statement from someone how was being treated,they saw us working and just came to check us out.

4 times in 14 years doesn't sound too bad. The way some people talk on here it's as if they can't move a muscle without the HSE breathing down their neck.

4 times in 14 years doesn't sound too bad. The way some people talk on here it's as if they can't move a muscle without the HSE breathing down their neck.

I have not had one HSE site visit, ever, well maybe once, but that was in Northern Ireland so that will probably not count?

My friend has had a site visit but didn't even get a request for his LOLER records.

I have not had one HSE site visit, ever, well maybe once, but that was in Northern Ireland so that will probably not count?

My friend has had a site visit but didn't even get a request for his LOLER records.

Same here, never had any dealings with them, nor has anyone I know. I see you're from the south-west, must be different here to the rest of the country?