Do you even lift bro?  

61 members have voted

1. 1. How often do you exercise?

• never
    • daily, cardio based
    • daily, weighlifting based
    • every other day, cardio based
    • every other day, weighlifting based
  2. 2. Do you think regular exercise would benefit the average arb worker?

I was steering clear of powerlifting.Remember i joined the Gym a year ago with the intention of losing a beer gut primarily.I Hit the Spinning bike only for one hour each night after work for about six weeks...The weight(2 stone) fell of in that time.The trainers there who have become my best friends suggested i might light to try the Cable machines which i did.I began to see a difference in my definition.By this time i had been off the drink for a couple of months.As i increased all my weights i started using the smith machine for shoulders,incline and flat press.Agai n i started seeing my definition sharpen,my fittness and strength increase and Happiness and well being go through the roof.....I have since moved to free weights and bench press and Dumbells are my favourite as i now understand about full range of motion and stabalisation....The squat rack is an area to which i have not ventured.

Don't think of squatting as powerlifting but rather the core of any gym routine. Like deadlift, it utilises all major muscle groups, but deadlift can be more problematic for the lower back (I only really do trap bar deadlift at this time as I can keep my back flatter throughout the lift). 

The key thing with squatting is form. Watch videos on Youtube on squat form and try to find someone in the gym who knows how to squat who you can work with to learn the ropes. Once you've got it, you'll never go back to the machines. There just isn't any comparison.

Very good. As I said though, form is key and getting instruction from someone who knows what they are doing will be the difference between reaping the benefits of a great exercise and potential injury. Squatting is easy when you know how, but there is a learning curve!

Life is a learning curve!...and my brain is like a sponge.I have a wealth of knowledge and experience surrounding me at my Gym.The staff here from all iover (South Africa,Norway and the Good ol' U.S of A.) I would class them as my closest friends these days along with the folk on Arbtalk

Squats really are the king of leg exersises,coupled with deadlifts and your legs will grow like never before.

I dont like the quad extension machine silky,it puts excessive stress on the knees,maybe its just the machine at my gym but i really dont like doing anything heavy on the leg extensions-paranoid about my knees giving out.

I will say though for medium to light weight and getting a "burn" in the quadriceps-the leg extension is king!

My Quads are fairly big and developed already.I used to row for my City then years of cycling long distances.Ttee work obviously helps weather especially being up on spikes..I am doing 10 mile bike rides at a good pace for my cardio.I shall certainly add the squat into my routine though Stihlmadasever[emoji963]️‍♂️

What's your drinking status now if you do the mind me asking? Not drinking is the best aid to fitness and wellbeing (of course ) but finding a happy balance is tricky. I plan to have a few beers every fortnight or after a particular event or celebrations of course but it soon returns to 4 or 5 nights a week!!

• Like 1