Topping scotch pine?

Mr. Bish

There is unrest in the forest,

There is trouble with the trees,

For the maples want more sunlight

And the oaks ignore their pleas.

The trouble with the maples,

(And they're quite convinced they're right)

They say the oaks are just too lofty

And they grab up all the light.

But the oaks can't help their feelings

If they like the way they're made.

And they wonder why the maples

Can't be happy in their shade.

There is trouble in the forest,

And the creatures all have fled,

As the maples scream "Oppression!"

And the oaks just shake their heads

So the maples formed a union

And demanded equal rights.

"The oaks are just too greedy;

We will make them give us light."

Now there's no more oak oppression,

For they passed a noble law,

And the trees are all kept equal

By hatchet, axe, and saw.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I bet those evangelical non-toppers would jump at the chance to re pollard a centuries old tree in a ancient location,making scraggy coronets, and all the while sounding the horn of liberalecoconservationism .

Get off this subject quick, as those at the TreeHouse will remember the problems with the outspoken aussie.

I bet those evangelical non-toppers would jump at the chance to re pollard a centuries old tree in a ancient location,making scraggy coronets, and all the while sounding the horn of liberalecoconservationism .

Get off this subject quick, as those at the TreeHouse will remember the problems with the outspoken aussie.

?????????????

Can't make out what you are saying Logologist

Jeeps... I asked for advise :-) not a long winded personal political feud about the rights or wrongs of topping.

I'm not going to "top" these. I am going to remove two and dead wood / tidy third. I am pretty short of work right now but I will still walk away if the client wants the middle one topped because it will be like a giant totem pole.

I believe with what I have learned from this thread I can convince him to let me do whatever I want. So many thanks for your experienced insights.

Mr. Bish.

when does a reduction turn into a tree being topped? ive done a few reductions that i havent been proud of. ive always cut back to growth points but have taken off a good wack of the crown. this has sometimes been at the request of council tree officers.

when does a reduction turn into a tree being topped? ive done a few reductions that i havent been proud of. ive always cut back to growth points but have taken off a good wack of the crown. this has sometimes been at the request of council tree officers.

If it has been specified by the council it is normally specified for a reason.

I aim to do a crown reduction so that to the untrained eye, you can't tell it's been done.

The tree shouldn't lose it's shape.

There's a difference between nipping off the leaders (Formative pruning) and hacking a huge lump off the top.

I recon if you are taking the top out of single trunked trees (Pine, Larch, cedar etc) then it is "nasty topping" If you are butchering the crap out of beech, oak etc then it's reduction.

I might be wrong tho.