Topping scotch pine?

Mr. Bish

I have two medium pines that the customer wants topped.

I have told him that I didn't think it was a good thing to knock the top off those. I would prefer to raise the lower branches and perhaps thin.

So my question is. Is it likely to kill pines by topping them? (About 40% knocked off the top).

And if I bite the bullet and do actually top them. will they grow in weird directions like larches?

The end result that he wants is more light in his garden and if I don't hack the top off I probablyt wont get the job :-(

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I assume you mean Scots pine :D

How big are these pinus?

Yes, they will quite happily tolerate a 40% reduction, although he resulting sprout growth will be something to behold!

The branches left will all try and assume apical dominance, creating an upside down shaving brush effect.

You may want to advise that if you do hit the crown hard, that they get you in every 3 years to manage the regrowth.

I assume you mean Scots pine :D

How big are these pinus?

I am sure I meant scots but I may have scotch on the mind.

Thanks for the advise. I can now go and make myself look slightly less stoopid on Mondays visit to the tree officer.

Ohh they are 60 to 80 ft. and in reasonable health. I'd love to take the top out but I was under the impression it was not the done thing on these. I get to close a main road for a few hours too which is always a good thing I guess, and another first for me :-)

Topping pines is not an ideal scenario, but it may be better than the alternative, ie fell and replant.

Have you considered a phased removal?

How is the tree officer involved? If they are TPO's you are unlikely to get consent for a 40% reduction IMO.

I have a customer with several topped pines the customer told me the work was done over 15 years ago by the world renound arboroculturalist Jerem*y Barr*ll when he was still cutting trees so it must be ok cos they are not rotting out , the laterals have thrived and we prune them every few years.

Taking the tops out of trees is never really a good thing, but does'nt mean the trees will die. Like Ed says they will tolerate it and regrow but that does'nt make it right or o.k, its just plain pikey.

I've seen Scotts pine and other pines in my area that have had the tops knocked off in the past, no one has then gone on to maintain the re-growth, usually 3 or 4 stems have won the fight and become leaders producing a very top heavy multiple leader trees prone to fail.

60 - 80 ft tres are quite big to be hammering unless they already have a large crown.

Scots pines round here tend to have tiny sparse crowns, so a 40% reduction would leave a stem.

It would be good if you could post a few pics, then you would get some good objective advice.

Those look like they been topped before, the one on the right just above the point you show, the one on the left just below.

I'd just push to fell them if he wants more light, as I doubt topping them will make a huge difference, plus there is another decidous tree in there being suppressed, retain this tree.

I don't agree with topping pines we always suggest crown lifting thinning etc. Or if there are a few picking the better specimens and taking out others. If all else fails suggest taking down and re planting. I've never in two years with James or Matt reduced a pine. We have taken down one that had been topped years and years ago and it was stag headed and decayed one third of the way down the main stem from where it had been topped.