Hitchclimber Rapide

Rich Rule

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

go for a hitch climber mate, you wont look back, if you are a big guy then thrusting up a tree wont be that easy, but you will probably be as strong as an oxe, so the hitch climber and vt will really suit you arm over arm i reckon, i went back to prusik all last week just to see what i had been missing, tennis elbow, arm strain and a sore back oh and yes jammed up prussiks because it was so wet, back tot he hitch climber this week for me. it will take you a bit of time to play about, and get a knot to suit, i still havent managed to get it to self tend, but i dont really dothat much climbing now, but following the advice from members on here is the secret, and if you can get someone to show you hands on it really helps

Ok then, we are getting there, but, when i tried a VT a while back (just with a swing cheek pulley tending), somehow i couldnt get on with it, but you guys think its better with the hitch climber then?

Guess i should put the order in then:blushing:

From what i gather from reading on here, it takes abit of getting used to and setting up, but, once you have set it up how you like it you wont look back, just a matter or persistance i think.

I keep meaning to try it myself, but i cant really go to work and try to climb on a V.T, tinker with it abit to set it up right, then still not get on with it, and have to tinker some more, when im there to do a job. Stick with the prussic for now but when i get the chance to have a rec climb il give it a go :)

I would say a VT is temperamental, it's a hitch that needs constant attention, it's very different to a Blakes or a prussic that you can pretty much forget about once tied, also a self tending hitch requires a change of technique to what you are used to, I found it pretty odd at first but with Steve's help I quickly got used to it.

I don't think the type of pulley makes any difference, the old swing cheek pulley or petzl fixe will work just as well, its the knot that is important.

The Hitchclimber pulley is just more versatile thats all, and has many applications.

it is a diferent technique, thats for sure, but the diference on your bodies stress is the main thing, locking your arm with a prusik puts a lot of stress on it, but holding onto the rope with your arm fully extended doesnt, you certainly need to have a good grip or wear gloves though, but the good thing is yor groundie can help you out, i worked on a big oak and the only anchor point was round a big limb and it got trapped around a bit of dead wood, but with my lad pulling on the line i was up in jig time, it comes into its own on bigger trees and branch walking