husky 372 running oregon and husky bars problem

forest tink

ok,heres the story lol,basically been running a 2015 372 with a 18" husky bar,no problems at all,the time came to replace the bar so i get the replacement from the dealer and stick it on with a new chain,i give the saw a rev to settle the chain in but as the chain goes round theres a ticking sound, im thinking after a couple of trees this will disappear,wrong,i take it off again,put the old bar and new chain back on,its fine,i took the bar back to the dealer but he says theres something wrong with the saw,there isnt,definently not,i tried the bar on a 576 i have and its ticking again,upon closer inspection,the chain will turn round the bar until it gets to the sprocket and it starts riding the tips of the sprocket as if it needs another link,this is obviously whats creating the ticking sound,anyone any ideas as to what the crack is with this,its doing my head in,if i put a half worn stretched chain it works fine but thats no use to man or beast

• Like 1

4 hours ago, forest tink said:

ok,heres the story lol,basically been running a 2015 372 with a 18" husky bar,no problems at all,the time came to replace the bar so i get the replacement from the dealer and stick it on with a new chain,i give the saw a rev to settle the chain in but as the chain goes round theres a ticking sound, im thinking after a couple of trees this will disappear,wrong,i take it off again,put the old bar and new chain back on,its fine,i took the bar back to the dealer but he says theres something wrong with the saw,there isnt,definently not,i tried the bar on a 576 i have and its ticking again,upon closer inspection,the chain will turn round the bar until it gets to the sprocket and it starts riding the tips of the sprocket as if it needs another link,this is obviously whats creating the ticking sound,anyone any ideas as to what the crack is with this,its doing my head in,if i put a half worn stretched chain it works fine but thats no use to man or beast

Do you mean the drive sprocket (or the nose sprocket on the bar) ?

You say everything is fine with a half used chain - doesn't that rule out the new bar as the problem? Edit :  but new chain on the old bar was fine too  which says chain is fine. ... lol !

Is the drive sprocket in good condition, ie no deep wear marks? Could be the drive link on the chain be riding up onto the unworn surface of the sprocket? 

Otherwise, have a look at the drive links on the chain, any damage or burrs on the edges of the drive links that might catch on sprocket or entry to bar rails? 9 I've had that before and it does make a click noise.  Put a pen mark on the chain and see if it's the same place on the chain every time ....

Let us know how you get on. 

bmp01

Edited by bmp01
see edit note.

tried brand new powermate ,brand new husky bar and chain and new oregon bar and chain,im convinced the entry to the bar rails is slightly bigger(raised) than that of the other bars iv had,which would obviously make the chain offset a little,iv checked both bars serial numbers and they seem to be ok,it has to be the bar as it does it on both saws,the same thing,up until now i have never had any problems at all,i tried a 22 and a  24 inch bar on the 576 and they were fine,its like its the right bar but its not

Can you post the exact numbers and letters, paying particular attention to the letters on the problem bar, at least that way I can confirm the specs the bar should be.  If the chain isn't engaging the bar nose sprocket properly then I would guess it is a .325 sprocket as stubby has suggested. If you have a .325 chain off another machine you could fit it to the bar and see how that looks.