Which pole pruner set to go for?

jamesd

Some of the yellow Jameson are foam filled and insulated

https://www.abbeypro.co.uk/tree-pruning/pole-saws/showitem-WW-FG.aspx

you can get an insulator for the pulley cord too - useful on a wet day I guess, but I haven't felt the need to test it near the pylons

the branch lifter hook thing is really good - used it to catch stuff on a thorn hedge reduction, handy to pull stuff across if you dont want to collect from next door

i had two six foot and two four foot poles together and cleared some oak away from an lv house supply - it was good to be trimming the tree at twenty foot without leaving the ground, double pulley pruner, there must be a record for the highest tree successfully rod pruned in utility work - 35ft my guess

Edited by tree-fancier123

16 hours ago, tree-fancier123 said:

Some of the yellow Jameson are foam filled and insulated

https://www.abbeypro.co.uk/tree-pruning/pole-saws/showitem-WW-FG.aspx

you can get an insulator for the pulley cord too - useful on a wet day I guess, but I haven't felt the need to test it near the pylons

the branch lifter hook thing is really good - used it to catch stuff on a thorn hedge reduction, handy to pull stuff across if you dont want to collect from next door

i had two six foot and two four foot poles together and cleared some oak away from an lv house supply - it was good to be trimming the tree at twenty foot without leaving the ground, double pulley pruner, there must be a record for the highest tree successfully rod pruned in utility work - 35ft my guess

Yeah I've seen the insulated ones but they are a lot dearer so i'm not sure its worth it. The only work around powerlines i do would be domestic stuff i.e the lines that are insulted anyway, you know the ones that feed your house...

• Like 1

AUS all the way in my opinion,  I have a set of 11 poles which are mostly 1.2m long as some had to be cut down and shortened in order to repair them.  I got mine free over a period of months as I simply took them out of the skip at a place I used to work and repaired them (they are not tested though!).  I use them instead of a throw line to set my anchor in the tree,  so I had to buy the hook, saw head, and the 'parrot nosed' loppers.  They are used daily and I can't ever imagine not using them.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, tree-fancier123 said:

will have to try that - must be handy when there's loads of epi or ivy, and if i'm on my own, no need to worry about ladders in the way

what is the technique? save me months or years

i'll do a video fer ya this coming week and show ya the technique,  it's pish easy.

Yeah I've seen the insulated ones but they are a lot dearer so i'm not sure its worth it. The only work around powerlines i do would be domestic stuff i.e the lines that are insulted anyway, you know the ones that feed your house...

Just be careful about sweeping statements for power lines. If you don't know the difference between them, then you will get a belt.
A little bit of knowledge is a dangerous thing.
  • Like 1

Jameson every time. The solid filled poles designed for utility as they don't form condensation internally are not worth the extra unless you do full on utility work. Get the largest capacity loppper head Jameson do, together with the double U shape hook as you can push and pull hung up branches with it.

Also get the alloy blade connecting head, but don't buy the blade - it has a usefull hook as part of the head. Get the alloy head and get it adapted to take Silky blades - nothing compares with a Zubat silky blade fitted.

This is our setup we have used forever and having used the rest I would never change.

Go to the workWARE website and put your postcode in the Find a dealer field - Then shop around.

http://www.workware.co.uk/brands.php?brand=Jameson

Good luck :thumbup1:

Edited by arboriculturist

On 22/09/2017 at 19:05, jamesd said:

I'm thinking of going for a jameson heavy duty double pulley pruner head with four six foot poles. Has anyone used these before or is there a better option? Are the jameson tested for powerline use?

These are the ones i'm thinking of going for:

http://www.skylandequipment.com/jameson-hollow-extension-pole.html?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIyNPfkK251gIVTLvtCh1npQqrEAQYASABEgLJuvD_BwE

I'm not to worried about having a saw head but will probably go for one later on, could you put a silky blade on the jameson poles?

Cheers, James.

Here ya go. Like I said this is a quick demo.  You should be able to reach to approx 60' with a decent set of AUS rods. 

VID-20170927-WA0002.mp4

Edited by wicklamulla
wrong image