Makita EA7900P45E for milling?

Paul in the woods

Sorry for yet another chainsaw thread.

I'm after a larger saw for use around the woodland and for a bit of small log milling. This is just for personal use so I'm not looking for speed, logs will not be that long and mostly 12"-18" wide with the odd one being a bit wider. A mix of alder, ash, beech etc and the odd bit of oak.

I've noticed the Makita EA7900P45E for under £600 and that seems like the cheapest I can get a decent sized saw for (78.5cc / 4.2kw power).

I know many will say get something more powerful but I'd rather see how I get on and see how much extra wood I can find before investing in anything much bigger.

It's more than I need for logging but will it cope with what I want to mill? Are there any better saws out there for £600?

Fair enough. I took a chance and bought on ebay. Pay with paypal and then take it to someone who knows what they are talking about and have them look it over. If its junk send it back and get a refund.

Devons not that remote surely? Try the North East of Scotland. :D My Grandfathers from and still lives in Plymouth.

Thanks Max

Yeah you won't go wrong with this saw the EA7900 plenty of grunt and its nimble enough to do smaller work without getting knackered humping a big saw around its perfect bar for everyday work is a 20" or 24"3/8 058 or 050 it will come with a Dolmar makita branded Oregon 73lpx chain and if you wanna do some milling you can get a large spline 3/8 lo-pro GB sprocket rim and a bar to match your needs

If you wanna change colour and need a price for the Dolmar ps-7910 give me a shout

I use my 7900 for milling. It is fine on softwoods, cutting 18" plus boards running a 28" bar is no problem to it at all. I have cut some dead elm boards that came out as 22" wide and that was fine also.

I recently milled an ash tree and it was the first time I felt I was being a little unkind to the saw. If you could find another £160 I would go for the 90cc makita for milling.

As a saw though, the 7900 is a cracker. Light enough to use as a general saw and runs a 24" bar with ease.

Where in Devon are you?

Thank's for the replies everyone. I'm in NW Devon.

I did consider the DCS9010 but that's going to be too big for what I want in the woods if I'm honest. I know it would be better suited to milling but I'd have to get a smaller saw to go with it.

I've been mulling over saws and mills for ages so I picked up Rob's ecomill offer and think I'll get the Mak 7900 to get started. If I get on ok I'll just have to upgrade at a later date, hopefully when I know what I'm doing!

Mr Wizzard, are you using a standard bar? One thing I might consider is a lo-pro bar and I'd like to know if anyone has tried it on the 7900?