Dead fir log

RC0

Thanks.

I didn't have a breakaway link on the lanyard. Didn't think it necessary after I got the feel of things from the top. I also wouldn't want it to break by accident, say, if a slab of bark went from under my feet and I fell into the lanyard. Didn't fancy the swing and crash.

I honestly don't know why it was cut off in the past, and left standing. New owners now.

Pete, these big conifers get sap rot....like heart rot but from the outside. So, the heartwood was going to be the best holding wood. On a smaller tree, without the back lean and surroundings I'd have probably tested the water a bit more....but, I wasn't feeling particularly lucky at that moment.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Nicely done. Would have been a bit different without the TIP you had. Sounds like it maxed you out mentally. Well done getting it done, as always :)

I was irritated, if you know what I mean. There was nothing about it that I didn't have the answer to, and it was pretty easy stuff, physically. But everything just seemed to be taking ages. Even packing up at the end, it was a windup.

I feel your pain mate.

I had a pretty similar situation today doing an annual trim on a 10' conny hedge when we were told we had to leave the section above the hedgehog house.

That was a game changer.

Mrs. Mortley got the teas in half way through, and that gave us the chance to reassess.

We left the section above the hedgehog house.

Still a fairly intense couple of hours.

We both walked away with no damage mate, that's the main thing.[emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using Arbtalk

That really puts things in perspective

Sent from my iPhone using Arbtalk

Reg,

well done on getting it down safely.

That was definitely one was one of those rare occasions when you have to tell the client the job is going to cost more because of an unforeseen problem you've just discovered when you got up into the tree.

From my own experience, the problem with continuing with that tree after finding the structural defect (which altered the original plan considerably ie job going to take longer) was that it affects your mental state meaning you're unnecessarily distracted.