Newbie with some questions

Stevie777

How the hell did we manage, no chainbrakes, no AV mounts, usually no helmets, visors or ear protection. Don't:001_rolleyes: even mention leaving terra firma and climbing trees

Apparently you can recognize old tree workers, they're all deaf, blind and lack appendages:biggrin: Those that survived, that is.

Speak up man .........Where ever you are ....:001_smile:

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Steve, give me a shout if you get booked at Cumbernauld and if I am available I might be interested in doing the course as well. I am close to Cumbernauld.

I was in a similar situation to yourself, heavy industry for 30 odd years etc. I started using a chainsaw about 12 years ago and use it frequently. Industry does give you the common sense but there is some chainsaw 'rules' to learn.

It's up to you but I would resell the chainsaw and get yourself a new Industry standard one like a Stihl, Husky, Echo, Dolmar.

Get yourself the PPE as well, steelies, visor, helmet if there is branches above you, ear defenders, I bought chainsaw chaps as well, I know a lot of the proper users don't like them but they are fine a handy to clip on for an hour chainsaw work, the proper guys prefer the chainsaw trousers but they have a saw in there hand all day.

How the hell did we manage, no chainbrakes, no AV mounts, usually no helmets, visors or ear protection. Don't:001_rolleyes: even mention leaving terra firma and climbing trees

Apparently you can recognize old tree workers, they're all deaf, blind and lack appendages:biggrin: Those that survived, that is.

I learnt to drive and operate Tractors, HGV's, Mobile cranes, 50 ton overhead cranes, heavy crushing equipment, forklift trucks, Operate metal cutting band saws, bending machines, burning equipment, Drive Dumper trucks, use jack hammers, Stihl saws, Climb ladders, climb trees way up high for crows eggs, walk to school, swim in the clyde. pull two kids from the clyde who were drowning..all unattended btw..Not one licence required. How the hell did i survive. :biggrin:

Oh, fire Shotguns, SLR's, Browning pistols, SMG's, GPMG's, throw grenades, fire LAW-80 anti tank weapons. A bit deaf on one side but apart from that still this side of the grass. Weekend warrior only. :001_rolleyes:

Oh, fire Shotguns, SLR's, Browning pistols, SMG's, GPMG's, throw grenades, fire LAW-80 anti tank weapons. A bit deaf on one side but apart from that still this side of the grass. Weekend warrior only. :001_rolleyes:

You forgot about LMG's 😀

Steve, give me a shout if you get booked at Cumbernauld and if I am available I might be interested in doing the course as well. I am close to Cumbernauld.

I was in a similar situation to yourself, heavy industry for 30 odd years etc. I started using a chainsaw about 12 years ago and use it frequently. Industry does give you the common sense but there is some chainsaw 'rules' to learn.

It's up to you but I would resell the chainsaw and get yourself a new Industry standard one like a Stihl, Husky, Echo, Dolmar.

Get yourself the PPE as well, steelies, visor, helmet if there is branches above you, ear defenders, I bought chainsaw chaps as well, I know a lot of the proper users don't like them but they are fine a handy to clip on for an hour chainsaw work, the proper guys prefer the chainsaw trousers but they have a saw in there hand all day.

I will do Roy. Wont be doing anything until after Aug, got a lot going on at the moment but will be looking into it. I'll pick up the PPE as i go along..I have some but the trousers are a must. Chaps are a bit too Bon Jovi for me. :lol:

Edited by Stevie777

Chaps are a bit too Bon Jovi for me. :lol:

Very true :) but they do save a lot of flaffing about taking your boots and jeans of for a quick bit of chainsaw work. I got chaps as I was very guilty (not big or clever) of not bothering to put chainsaw trousers on for a quick bit of chainsaw work.

Edited by roys

Very true :) but they do save a lot of flaffing about taking your boots and jeans of for a quick bit of chainsaw work. I got chaps as I was very guilty (not big or clever) of not bothering to put chainsaw trousers on for a quick bit of chainsaw work.

I take it your avatar is the result of you not bothering...Tis but a scratch. A mere flesh wound. :laugh1: