Landrover Trouble...

Tree Man Tom

with no diff lock, a landrover is actually 1 wheel drive, with center diff it is 2wd, (1 wheel on each axle)

I was tarvelling across some rough ground and it just seemed to be struggling, which got me thinking soemthing was up and i got this idea in my head...

But now you've reminded me of that, it makes sense as to why i lost traction. I think everythings alright guys, just me being paranoid lol

Diff light comes on when i engage difflock :thumbup1:

edit, went for a drive in it just now and on the road its fine, no noises and seems to drive OK :) got its mot in a couple weeks so i may just ask them to have a quick look if i still got any suspicions. I should just stop worrying though :001_tongue:

Edited by Tree Man Tom

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

jack front left, and rear right wheel off the ground and support with axle stands, put in diff lock, and slowley engage first low on tick over, the wheels off the ground should rotate, now try and hold one of the slowley spinning wheels, if you can and only the un-held wheel spins, diff isnt working, if you cant hold the wheel, (dont try too hard!) diffs working (very dangerous btw!)

jack front left, and rear right wheel off the ground and support with axle stands, put in diff lock, and slowley engage first low on tick over, the wheels off the ground should rotate, now try and hold one of the slowley spinning wheels, if you can and only the un-held wheel spins, diff isnt working, if you cant hold the wheel, (dont try too hard!) diffs working (very dangerous btw!)

Cheers for that mate! Will try that tommorow just to put my mind at rest :)

disco or defender? i think the turbos in a diffrent place for a discovery??

Sorry I am late to the thread and glad the LR is now fixed. In the case of turbo compatibility the Def/Disco assy's will swap straight over.

There are more Disco lumps out there than Def ones...especially as the Def turbo assy is as rare as hens teeth (you were in luck). Or fit a 300tdi if you want to fit new engine mounts. Even more of those coming up and, again ancilliaries swap over from the 200tdi. :thumbup1:

Edited by Marlin.45

• 3 months later...

Right guys and girls, hopefully you remember this thread...

I took the head off the engine today and the pistons seemed to have markings as if the valves had been hitting the piston, this sound plausable? Or is it just a large build up of carbon and the valves are marking that instead of the piston itself.

im thinking the cambelt slipped and knocked the timing out ever so slighty, and the knocking noise is infact valves and pistons hitting. This is only my first diagnosis lol will dig deeper and see what else i can find. :thumbup1: