Swedish Log Candles - an idea for Nov 5th ?

Catweazle

I've done these countless times now, work well, and a nice way of having a controlled fire with minimal mess. Nod (Tree Climbing Equipment Online Shop - Treeworker.co.uk - Home) did have some nice log holders at one of the shows, dunno if he still has any?

If Nod has run out, Buzzsurgeon on here is a dealer for them too - made by BGT Products - he also makes chippers I think.

I've a few drying out in the shed - did one a metre tall by about 18" and cut it 6 ways- dunno what it'll be like

You all probably know about these, but they're new to me;

How to make a Swedish Log Candle | eHow.com

Looks like a good idea, possibly even a moneyspinner at the local garden centre ?

Wow, that's an easier way of doing it than I've been struggling with. If you have a flipping great drill it works also by drilling a 1.5"-2" chimney down the middle of the log and a 1/2" horizontal airflow channel into the base of the chimney. Drop some lumps of firelighter down followed by a match. But your way's far easier. I try to use wood that has a scent; you need to have it burning some way off so you get the smell without the smoke. Cedar and that lightweight Lawson's with the lemon/vanilla scent are best I find.