Phone book advertising

Alinicoll

Sure, I'm only giving my experience. A friend of mine has a big ad (same area as me) and gets loads of calls and that is a large part of his business. Maybe he is better at dealign with the kind of people that i don't get on with???

Also if you are gettign a large amount of the work form the YP then you can maybe do it cheaper so you get a high % of your quotes accepted and that means more jobs to fit together to make up a good day rate.

It might be that I'm just too lazy to look at 10 jobs to get 3 of them and then do all 3 in a day to make any money.

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Sure, It might be that I'm just too lazy to look at 10 jobs to get 3 of them and then do all 3 in a day to make any money.

Thats sort of always the way its been with me, well fair a bit better than 3 out of 10, but since its always something ive had to deal with "Yes thanks for the quote I'm just waiting on another 20 or 30 others(slight exaggeration there)" then I suppose I just accept it the way it is.

Is nice though when you go to some decent people who understand the work you need to do and accept the quote there and then with out any face pulling or heart clutching :thumbup1:

Is nice though when you go to some decent people who understand the work you need to do and accept the quote there and then with out any face pulling or heart clutching :thumbup1:

If I don't get the heart clutching and face pulling I worry I've gone in too cheap :001_tongue:

No I don't think so. If I were better at business I might advertise more, get all the smaller jobs, have employees to rush round doing it and make more money but that does not appeal to me.

Tree work is my vocation, not a business project.

I know I am very lucky. I many regular clients who don't need a quote!!

I don't like jobs like that, I prefer to be able to give a price (ideally beating another quote or two) if I then find a way to do the job quicker I make more.

If they don't get a quote I always feel I have to be fairly reserved with my price.

I know what you mean, it stresses me a bit. But these clients will all have started off having quotes off me but now just let me get on with it. Obviously its a trust thing either way.

Recently I allowed two days for a job which took three. I invoiced for three and cheque arrived today, no worries.

The main client has had 4-5 different companies over the last 20 years (he's in charge of, but doesn't own, 20,000 odd trees) In all that time each company he has used has casued him grief at some point. I started there by quoting and he feels he's gettign better value than before and (so far) I'v enot caused him any grief.

I quote when there is projects to be done so that they can cost it all out, but no one else quotes. Then for remedial works, and safety stuff, I just get on with it and send the invoice.

I think that feeling that you are describing is common but peculiar to tree workers. I'm sure the plumber doesn't worry when he writes out the bill for the dripping tap? We should all learn to value ouselves a bit higher.

I think that feeling that you are describing is common but peculiar to tree workers. I'm sure the plumber doesn't worry when he writes out the bill for the dripping tap? We should all learn to value ouselves a bit higher.

Very true!!!

:withstupid: (NO offense couldnt find the Ditto one :001_tongue:)