This is how I measured my 200Ts squish clearance

MattG

That was an interesting read. How did it turn out Matt?

I’ve decided to put some new rings in mine so whilst at it I thought I’d check the squish to see if it could be improved. It measured in at around 0.9mm, so quite large. I took the cylinder off, cleaned band, which wasn’t really dirty and replaced without gasket. It then measured in at 0.69mm which from what I can gather is still too high. I looked at the bottom of the cylinder and it was real rough, you could see milling makes and when held up to the light with a straight edge it was all over the place. This is probably not the way to do it but I got my 8 inch diamond plates and very carefully  flattened the bottom until is was flat and marks had gone. Put the cylinder back on and now the squish measures 0.49. I don’t really want to run without a gasket so made one from my thin paper and it now measures 0.62mm. Is that too high or should I flatten the bottom a tad more.  The other thing I notice is there is a real lip on the bottom of the intake port. If I was to flatten this, and with lowering the cylinder it will have dropped the port a bit. Should I take that measurement off the bottom of the piston and maybe raise the exhaust the same? Or do you think it won’t make much difference?

I asked Matt the same question via the old messaging system. I think he was happy with it. He did some YouTube videos of it,  I don't have the link he sent me any more but going by the dates on this thread and a quick search on YouTube I think this was it. ...

h t t p s://youtu.be/l_1Jkg7AWWI  (remove the obvious gaps in https, if I put it in correctly it auto plays!)

Very difficult to judge the saws cutting performance,  wood type,  chain condition blar, blar,  but it seems pretty responsive. Saw was obviously far from new at the outset.

Matt told me he was visiting other chainsaw sites,  American, for most of his saw tuning games, don't know if he's still on here. ...

HTH.

• Like 1

Well I've got it back together again. I ended up leaving the piston alone, smoothed out the lip on the intake, widened the intake and exhaust just a tiny bit, it didn't look like there was much room to do any more, enlarged the exhaust outlet and matched the gasket and exhaust. Its defo got more compression and runs a treats so all's good. Will just see how long it lasts now :) 

On 30/01/2019 at 14:14, bmp01 said:

I asked Matt the same question via the old messaging system. I think he was happy with it. He did some YouTube videos of it,  I don't have the link he sent me any more but going by the dates on this thread and a quick search on YouTube I think this was it. ...

h t t p s://youtu.be/l_1Jkg7AWWI  (remove the obvious gaps in https, if I put it in correctly it auto plays!)

Very difficult to judge the saws cutting performance,  wood type,  chain condition blar, blar,  but it seems pretty responsive. Saw was obviously far from new at the outset.

Matt told me he was visiting other chainsaw sites,  American, for most of his saw tuning games, don't know if he's still on here. ...

HTH.

Matts gone, don’t know where but he’s not been in Ope for long time.??????

1 hour ago, Gerbutt said:

What’s ope?

Outdoor Power Equipment forum....

American forum,  mad keen on tuning amongst other stuff.  I believe the forum is moderated by / run by / owned by (delete as appropriate) a well respected tuning guy....

Edited by bmp01
Damned auto correct, again.
  • Like 2