Daihatsu fourtrak your thoughts on using to tow 3500 kg

gensetsteve

Very low geared without a trailer on but worked very well with weight behind, though being quite a small truck it can suffer a little with the tail wagging the dog a bit.

The garage I worked at when I first left school had a swb van (a turboed one) and it would happily do 2nd gear starts with a car and transporter on the back.

Rot wise, I remember us working on one that was less than 5 years old at the time and it already needed attention.

Well I spent an hour on my back with a torch overall it looks ok underneath but can see a 4 inch patch on the inner seal and some welding owner the axle on the main chassis. Around the rear arches there are various holes and they don't look far from the seat belt mounts. The prop looks bent and has some serious dents in it . Previous mots have highlighted steering suspension but I am unsure if that has been rectified So I think for me it's a no. The couple of 17 year old merc ml I have looked at for £1500 have been very good underneath and overall. My budget is 2k - 20k if needed just need the right work horse.

For your needs and budget I'd go WJ/WG grand cherokee over the merc.

The crd WG was built in austria, to higher standards than the ml with which it shares many parts.

Plenty of power (200hp with a gentle remap, 165 standard), auto box makes easy towing (3500kg allowed), old school enough to be fixable (no dpf or such!) but modern enough to do it well.

The 2.7 5cyl is a peach!

For your needs and budget I'd go WJ/WG grand cherokee over the merc.

The crd WG was built in austria, to higher standards than the ml with which it shares many parts.

Plenty of power (200hp with a gentle remap, 165 standard), auto box makes easy towing (3500kg allowed), old school enough to be fixable (no dpf or such!) but modern enough to do it well.

The 2.7 5cyl is a peach!

Good shout I never considered one because I drove one about 20 years ago and it felt claustrophobic with great big calls to climb over. But things have moved on lots so definately worth a look. I don't hear much good about the ml which probably explains why they are so cheap. A lot of trailer and caravan dealers use them so that says a lot.

Thank you to everyone for the advice so far.

I am a bit out of touch with the 4x4 market having the same Amazon so long was beginning to think they would bury me in it

Found a very clean genuine 1999 one owner. But mot says seat belt anchorage rot etc over the last few years. Don't think they have abs. Always thought they were a bit light for big towing. Need a reliable workhorse with out too many lights on the dash.

There good motors that punch well above there waight, a firm farmers favourite from years ago, super reliable

If it's what you need/want buy it and then spend a few quid on it to bring it back to its former glory

This way you've got what you want with the added bonus of knowing the motors as good as new and no mot worries for years to come