Nice one Danny Boy :D I am sure you can do it if you try.

My wood working skills are very limited and I only have the cheapest of tools , so if I can do it so can you. Hardest thing is picking the right planks to use if using pallet wood...make sure old nail holes will not be on view as much as poss when you final cut the worktop  edge ,and spotting any mould on your planks can be difficult to see sometimes until its too late and you are sanding it .Also with pallet wood some planks change thickness from one end or side to the other, these can come in handy as occasionally when making a worktop you can start going upwards from the flat table you are building it on, an angled plank can easily correct this ,so keep the bad ones to one side for this purpose.

The worktop without the sink has been in use now for about a year and it has not moved at all or gone dark due to water penetration.I expected something to warp or split but the only issue I found was that after about 3 months I noticed a few planks (about 4) out of the 120ish that make up the worktop had either risen or sunk, making a slight step feel in the worktop, sanded out jobs a goodun.

Paranoid about water getting beside my sink worktop I inspect this all the time and after 6 months of the tap being installed and daily use  there is no sign of water made dark patches, and no movement at all of planks, no stepping yet.

I will finish mine this year if my health allows...and if I can find away to stop making other things, gluing and screwing free wood can inspire many more ideas that make you start other projects, I have made shelves as big as you can possible want from pallet wood , letters as big as you want and as thick as you want ,a tree house with decking for my little girl ,Christmas house,model village,coat rack and garden furniture.

Once you start gluing and screwing its hard to stop.

• Like 1

I'm gonna be getting a planer/thicknesser to make life easy which will probably be the biggest outlay.

Been watching plenty of YouTube videos & like the simple router jig setup a few have made to use as an oversize thicknesser.

I'll even consider milling some wood but then it'll be green & need drying out.

All in all I think the man cave will be bust once it's built!

Sent from my D6603 using Arbtalk mobile app

• 1 year later...
On 19/08/2017 at 20:24, Danny Boy said:

Definitely inspired mate! The Mrs is even willing for me to gave a go emoji1.png

Getting a garage/workshop built fingers crossed by Xmas, so the kitchen is the 1st project booked in emoji106.png

2 years on ...Are you still here Danny Boy? Would love to know if you did that kitchen , and please post the pics if you did.

• Like 2