Moving an established hedge..?

benedmonds

Yep done similar only with Beech was a lot older and bigger. Never lost any but you would want to be doing that in the Autumn as they will need a lot of watering.

If that was me I'd get a telehandler to lift and a little 1.5 to dig I'd have the trench dug ready and then back fill as I went. Quite an aukward job but you would get a lot of satisfaction once done.

I have to agree it would be easier to remove and plant instant hedging. We're just in the process of putting some 6ft yew trench is dug so when they arrive Friday they can go straight in.

If money wasn't a problem you could quite easily stick a 25 ton crane in the middle to lift them would stop the ground been cut up so much.

Edited by Mortimer Firewood

These are a spring move to stop desiccation via wind never had much success with leylandi hedges difficult to keep upright and get in line even with tree spade

Leylandi I are not expensive try some of the large tree nurseries

Are you being asked to guarantee the survival/replant failures at your costs? Will their be a covenant written into the land? The client may not actually be concerned about the long term life of the hedge, just need something green till the paperwork goes through.

A project near me (funded by a developer) saw a row of approximately 120 x 5 metre thuja's planted along the boundary of a house with a very large rear garden. Cost around £65k for trees and planting. From what I saw there was virtually no aftercare and 90% were dead in the first year. The developer got the planning permission he was after though and subsequently built 8 houses in the rear garden. I expect he recouped his £65k ten times over.

Seems an awful waste of trees but worth establishing straight away what the client actually wants/needs. Not worth you racking your brain to find the best way to do it horticultural only to find they couldn't care less.