how to dry chip from a cant chipper?

Graham w

hi all

looking at having a chipper in line with the new sawmill to deal with our slab wood problem, which looks like a must have because i can then sell all waste wood for heating and use some for kilns/ workshop heating etc.

but mostly all wood chip produced will be 40%+ moisture and not much use.

What is the best way to do this (dry it in the kiln! lol)

thanks

hi all

looking at having a chipper in line with the new sawmill to deal with our slab wood problem, which looks like a must have because i can then sell all waste wood for heating and use some for kilns/ workshop heating etc.

but mostly all wood chip produced will be 40%+ moisture and not much use.

What is the best way to do this (dry it in the kiln! lol)

thanks

You need to force hot air through it, we use a trailer with a false vented floor with a fan/radiator connected.

Make sure any chipper you get produces the right grade chip for any boilers you supply to. ;)

You need to force hot air through it, we use a trailer with a false vented floor with a fan/radiator connected.

Make sure any chipper you get produces the right grade chip for any boilers you supply to. ;)

what volume of chip can you get through in a length of time?

yes would you like some:lol:

The problem is the vast volume of slabwood produced, I give it away most of the time but i discourage public collection so i then end up delivering bulk loads to here and there. The majority of slabwood goes to estates that have large biomass setups where they have it chipped. The problem here is theres too much additional handling = cost

Having it chipped as it leaves the mill is much more economic/efficient and means i can directly supply the chip for next to nowt, and we're due a kiln upgrade- why not fuel it with chip.

Im really impressed by the figures from gdh. its a goer

Edited by Graham w

The problem is the vast volume of slabwood produced, I give it away most of the time but i discourage public collection so i then end up delivering bulk loads to here and there. The majority of slabwood goes to estates that have large biomass setups where they have it chipped. The problem here is theres too much additional handling = cost

Having it chipped as it leaves the mill is much more economic/efficient and means i can directly supply the chip for next to nowt, and we're due a kiln upgrade- why not fuel it with chip.

Also chipping slabwood at the mill stage will give a better chip than after it's dried. Certainly better for any boilers with a fussy feed system. You will end up with a product that has a value and quality close to roundwood chip.

Only down side is a little extra bark but it shouldn't make a huge difference.

Whereabouts are you? Sawmill local to me can't make enough slabwood, think they sell it for about £35 a bundle, and there's a waiting list!