Deer Fencing

Sorry, nothing overly constructive to add but we are having deer fencing, to protect against roe and muntjac, installed later this year so I'll be interested to see what is recommended. Our installer is planning to use 3m metal posts (appx 1m in the ground), spring strainers (tensioned somehow), 13 lines of 2.0mm wire (3 earth and 10 conductive) and an M1200i energiser.

Why an electric fence and not a traditional deer fence? Do you remove the fence after your trees are established?

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's to enclose our garden, not to protect trees. My wife's flower beds are currently being eaten to destruction so we need to keep the deer out of the garden and keep then in the woodland that we own/border on to.

fair one, I know what it's like to plant something and see it eaten by deer :(

I've read that lion dung keeps deer away as the deer are scared of large carnivores. I understand some zoos sell the dung for this purpose - could be worth a shot.

fair one, I know what it's like to plant something and see it eaten by deer :(

I've read that lion dung keeps deer away as the deer are scared of large carnivores. I understand some zoos sell the dung for this purpose - could be worth a shot.

Doesn't work along with the hair and human pee theory! It only works for a day or so until they get used to it.

To keep out Muntjac you will need very small holes. I have seen them go straight through sheep fencing without stoping to take a breath!!! Chicken wire along the bottom and normal strands along the top. Make it like your keeping rabbits and hares out and it won't be to too much protection from them!

• 3 weeks later...

Hi, not sure if you've done this job but if not i've done a fair bit to keep red deer in. my fences are 6ft.

basically as stock fencing but strainers need to be good. i find telegraph poles best and cheapest option and need to be 10ft ideally or a little longer with 8ft strutt fairly low down. i have used boxes a fair bit (work best at corners) but now always strutt as well as they can move diagonally and mostly just use standard post and strutt arrangement as long soil deep enough.

mcveigh and parker do the cheapest wire i've found which would be ideal for you with a budget LHT fence - 100m roll at aprox £100 and just manageable with one man although 50m rolls will save your back. double stock is an option but 2 standard rolls dont get you high enough for a 6ft fence so actually normally more hastle and expense.

electric does deter my deer hollow hair or not but i dont use much as its a nightmare if it gets tangled in antlers - for the same reason i would avoid single line wires if possible.

if costing everything takes much longer!