Back up bridge

stihlmadasever

...further to that ive seen a couple of climbers on facebook/instagram etc with what looked like back up bridges however seeing those pictures posted in this thread with harnesses with in built double bridges perhaps it was those ive seen.

It would appear that you have seen double bridges, and have assumed that they are there as some kind of over the top 'risk-adverse' control measure, rather than being there to facilitate good rope management and work positioning.

Having a second bridge for pseudo-safely reasons will do nothing to make using a saw in a tree safer.

Good work positioning, and good and well honed saw-manship is what is essential to achieve reducing the risk of using a saw in a tree.

Implying that you have made their life safe by adding an extra bridge, WILL simply mean that most climbers take less care with positioning themselves in relation to the saw, and less care of things like kickback avoidance.

I have 20+ years of sawing in a tree. My bridge has never once been even slightly at peril.

I think less time should be spent pondering second bridges for pseudo-safety, and more time pondering how to gain confidence in the tree. I suggest starting with thinking about work positioning and saw use.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

It would appear that you have seen double bridges, and have assumed that they are there as some kind of over the top 'risk-adverse' control measure, rather than being there to facilitate good rope management and work positioning.

Having a second bridge for pseudo-safely reasons will do nothing to make using a saw in a tree safer.

Good work positioning, and good and well honed saw-manship is what is essential to achieve reducing the risk of using a saw in a tree.

Implying that you have made their life safe by adding an extra bridge, WILL simply mean that most climbers take less care with positioning themselves in relation to the saw, and less care of things like kickback avoidance.

I have 20+ years of sawing in a tree. My bridge has never once been even slightly at peril.

I think less time should be spent pondering second bridges for pseudo-safety, and more time pondering how to gain confidence in the tree. I suggest starting with thinking about work positioning and saw use.

Although i understand the logic of people assuming im thinking of adding a second bridge due to poor work positioning can i just add ive been climbing almost 6 years and im more than a decent climber.I can acheive good work positions and ive NEVER had any incidents involving the saw coming near my bridge/main line or lanyard.

This is purley a safety feature i wad concidering and has nothing to do with my abilities as a climber

Although i understand the logic of people assuming im thinking of adding a second bridge due to poor work positioning can i just add ive been climbing almost 6 years and im more than a decent climber.I can acheive good work positions and ive NEVER had any incidents involving the saw coming near my bridge/main line or lanyard.

This is purley a safety feature i wad concidering and has nothing to do with my abilities as a climber

If you have an idea of how you'd implement it, if you feel it isn't going to be a hindrance and it isn't going to negatively effect your safety go for it, can't do any harm can it? :thumbup1:

i think there is a distinction to be made for clarity, what we are about is a secondary back-up bridge as opposed to a actual second (approved) bridge.

Well said :thumbup:

No harm in added security .

But surely the 'actual second (approved) bridge' is not there for 'added security', it is there to ease rope management, and to assist in good work positioning.

For 'added security' I would propose that it becomes second nature to cut with a level of skill and attention so that you never endanger your bridge (or your rope, or you abdomen - all of which are only inches from your bridge!).

The harm in a 'secondary back-up bridge' is that it peddles the illusion of safety.

But surely the 'actual second (approved) bridge' is not there for 'added security', it is there to ease rope management, and to assist in good work positioning.

For 'added security' I would propose that it becomes second nature to cut with a level of skill and attention so that you never endanger your bridge (or your rope, or you abdomen - all of which are only inches from your bridge!).

The harm in a 'secondary back-up bridge' is that it peddles the illusion of safety.

I really dont think any experienced climber is going to start wielding a chainsaw wrecklessly because they have a 2nd bridge attached to theyre harness.

You seem to be failing to grasp that this addition to the harness is in no way a relation to chainsaw use.Its simpley an added safery feature.

We use triple lock and now quad lock biners yet ive never had an open gate incident,does that mean triple locks are unmerited...

I really dont think any experienced climber is going to start wielding a chainsaw wrecklessly because they have a 2nd bridge attached to theyre harness.

You seem to be failing to grasp that this addition to the harness is in no way a relation to chainsaw use.Its simpley an added safery feature.

We use triple lock and now quad lock biners yet ive never had an open gate incident,does that mean triple locks are unmerited...

Sorry mate, but the idea of a second bridge is related to (chain)saw use as stated in your first post...

"in case your bridge got cut or badly nicked"

My personal opinion is that a second bridge would not make you any safer by itself, otherwise we end up going down the route of two main lines at all times, visor AND safety glasses at all time(already implemented and enforced in some areas of the industry), two pairs of chainsaw trousers, two helmets, etc etc

Far better to focus on safe working practice and risk assessments IMO

Sorry mate, but the idea of a second bridge is related to (chain)saw use as stated in your first post...

"in case your bridge got cut or badly nicked"

My personal opinion is that a second bridge would not make you any safer by itself, otherwise we end up going down the route of two main lines at all times, visor AND safety glasses at all time(already implemented and enforced in some areas of the industry), two pairs of chainsaw trousers, two helmets, etc etc

Far better to focus on safe working practice and risk assessments IMO

Of course its related to the use of any cutting implement or why bother with the 2nd bridge at all,the point i was making is it was implied that my chainsaw technic must be flawed if i was concidering an added safety measure which just is not the case.

I an by no means perfect and admit i still have lots to learn but to imply the 2nd bridge is becaise i am weilding a saw in a dangerous manner is not true.