How to make beams

Andymacp

Hi , I am sure that you can set the depth of cut on the vertical mill so , I would do my first cut remove the ladder set depth on vertical , set width one cut set width and so on across the log , then set height on alaskan and away to go , 4/5 beams , the width setting every time is a bit of a faf but hey , chainsaw milling there is quite a bit of faf , good luck post some pics

Cheers Mark

The best method is as James hs done above. It does seem like a lot of cutting to start with before the posts start popping out.

Also you will find doing the horizontal cut after doing all the verical cuts it is hard to keep the posts from pinching the saw at the when you complete the cut.

With the vertical mill I have found the best results using a lo pro bar and Oregons 91vxl (not a ripping chain). The larger than chain the more important it seems to be to stick with ripping chain.

Smaller chains seem to rip well even if not at 10 degrees.

:)

• 4 weeks later...