Rigging a spar

RC0

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Good vid Reg enjoyed it, we'd been talking about this the other day using 2 pulleys then qtip mentioned the day after you'd actually done it on the Popular vid you'd recently posted.

Also like the way you set-up 2 karabiners? to pull the ropes apart to save them from being crushed/pinched by those stupidly large pieces.

Thanks for sharing i'd really like to start getting into making videos myself one day.

good on you reg you no your stuff thats for sure.i am a young climber and personally have learned a lot from your posts your a very knowledgable and skilled climber :001_smile:

Shame some other young climbers don`t take on how reg does it like you have!!!!!!

no good smashing it down to put a chog through the very expensive windows at the bottom of that slope!!!!

Reg

Do you supply your own groundsman when you you contract climb?

Do you think you would have been working close to the limits of your system if you'd been using just 1 pulley and lowering rope?

Sometimes I'll insist if its something tricky, dangerous or crane work for a company who are not too hot on that kind of stuff.

The second log on the vid was the heavy one....and even though Gavin let it run a little, there was probably still 2500kgf on those slings just for a moment. Dont ask me to break that figure down.

Marc they were heavy duty Dshackles. Thanks

I can well appreciate that video footage whether web or high quality doesn’t always give the viewer a true perspective and appreciation of scale, dimension and distance etc, so I personally try not to be so quick judge people and their chosen methodology as you have done here. So without judging you or your suggestions, what I will say is that if I’d asked another climber to go look at that job for real, with a view to fill in and finish it for me, and he favoured a similar method to that you suggested….I’d tell him he wouldn’t now be needed and good luck with the rest of his career.

Sweet!

Interesting job Reg, thanks for posting the vid.

Just a few questions/observations...and seriously, dont bother answering if they seem pointless.

1. On the first cut, why do you make the back-cut left handed with the pull-chain? why not make the back-cut right-handed with the pushing chain?

2. Throughout the dismantle (seen at 2.24 and 6.04) you have both your lifeline and flipine totally above the block sling, why is that?

3. At 2.50 about 6/7 feet below your feet are those guide pulleys necessary?

4. When you start your climb back up the stem at 3.20 why not have one of the groundies pull the slack out of the system as you ascend?

5. See 3.48, when climbing, I've never placed a false crotch or anchor point above a notch on a single stem even on very wide diameters, and even if it meant i'd have a better work position for making the notch I still wont do it, are you 100% happy with the technique, if so why?

6. At the end of the vid it would've been interesting to see where the stem finished up, did it jump forward onto the pile of wood?

cheers

Interesting job Reg, thanks for posting the vid.

Just a few questions/observations...and seriously, dont bother answering if they seem pointless.

1. On the first cut, why do you make the back-cut left handed with the pull-chain? why not make the back-cut right-handed with the pushing chain?

My body position was facing the log Tim, so I was more comfortable that way

2. Throughout the dismantle (seen at 2.24 and 6.04) you have both your lifeline and flipine totally above the block sling, why is that?

It is difficult to pull the stretch out of those 1in slings when you’re tying them, so they’re are always going to be pulled down the spar somewhat upon taking the weight of the log….so if a person had his climb line positioned underneath the sling, it would inevitably get trapped and possibly damaged.

3. At 2.50 about 6/7 feet below your feet are those guide pulleys necessary?

If you mean the Dshackles, then yes they are to make room so the falling logs can hit the spar and not the ropes.

4. When you start your climb back up the stem at 3.20 why not have one of the groundies pull the slack out of the system as you ascend?

They were too busy talking.

5. See 3.48, when climbing, I've never placed a false crotch or anchor point above a notch on a single stem even on very wide diameters, and even if it meant i'd have a better work position for making the notch I still wont do it, are you 100% happy with the technique, if so why?

On short logs like those then yes I’m 100% happy, but it had nothing to do with the cutting, just made it easier to position and tie the ropes.

At the end of the vid it would've been interesting to see where the stem finished up, did it jump forward onto the pile of wood?

Trust me it wouldn’t, because what you see is exactly where it ended up.

cheers

you're welcome

597654caa464c_20_10_200913_53_0001.jpg.a8fb6bdee52ceb75746ba57e30a9b0df.jpg