Ripping Chain ** VS ** Cutting Chain

Drew87

Thank you to everyone thats commented .. It is a whole new world of Equipment n Toys to get my head around,, But have now got my 'New-Old, 100cc Grunting.. 'Beast' 🙋 .. (Its older than I am :lol: ) .. To go with the mill,,

No,, Dont mind at all if its hijacked Flatyre,, Could be good link for others to find you / Like me,, Look to find more info and such through Arbtalk :thumbup1:

Nice one Rough Hewn,, Will have a look at that over the Holidays,, Cheers Pal.! Any pointers, clips n links for more pointers clips n links is well appreciated. :thumbup1:

Rob D,, Thats why I called this thread.. Ive heard some people use a X-Cut,, "Rough as through the cut,, Gives you a shake up,, More finishing work etc" .. So I thought id ask the Arbtalkers,, and Thanks to you Gents,, I have a better understanding. (Too many different answers on the many different forums all over the www ... = Me - :confused1: )

Much rather have them in one place :thumbup:

Big thanks to everyone thats Commented,, All is appreciated greatly.. Cheers :thumbup1:

• 4 weeks later...

Sorry to resserect an old thread.

But is there a type of machine grinder i should be looking for for sharpening chains precisely?

Must admit never used a grinder before to sharpen chains. I have always got on fine without them but have heard it is handier for the long chain loops and u also get a more precise edge/angle.

And when u use them how do u regulate how much u take off each cutter so it cuts straight? Does it have some sort of guide/stoppper or just by eye?

keep your eyes on lidl, they sell a cheap chain grinder, a little time setting it up, and dressing the "stone" will give you excellent results with a milling chain.......as with any grinder, the less you grind off, the better, any damaged teeth, hit them with a few light grinds rather than one big hit, this prevents heat damage to the chain, and as with anything mechanical, practice, practice, and then practice some more

After posting this i went on u tube and had a look at soe folk using a grinder s never even seen it done before.

With the 2 stops it looks simple enough.

So i take it the lidl ones are ok? Have seen them but thought they'd be rubbish

Seems to be a few other budget brands too for not a lot of money.

Cheers

• 3 weeks later...