Aspen fuels

AllyH

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I use Aspen 4T and mix with Husky XP oil at 40:1, i prefer Huskys own oil witch is Jaso FD in classification, Aspen 2 stroke oil is "only" Jaso FC.

Apart from that, Husqvarna has, here in Denmark, just announced the coming of their "own" alkylate fuel, witch in the 2 stroke version is mixed with their own XP oil in 50:1 :thumbup1:

I am going to have to correct you there buddy "Aspen 2 oil exceeds JASO FD rating" , JASO FD is a 1990's spec oil as that's when the last official JASO testing was done on mopeds .

As there has been no JASO testing since the 90's FD is the highest official rating printed on oil packaging.

I have been to the Aspen factory in Sweden this year and learnt a lot from their chemist Ulf .

Their oil also produces no measurable ash when tested , they test this by burning 1L of oil in an oven then covering what's left over with acid , what's then left over is the ash that is dried and weighed .

This was tested against a premium brand low ash competitors oil.

Having seen and worked on engines running exclusively on Aspen 2 I can personally vouch for the internal cleanliness, all that's visible is a burn mark from the combustion flame front and an oily residue , this includes the exhaust port .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Looking to try out some of the ethanol free aspen fuel. Been using the husqvarna XP oil along with regular unleaded but as its rich in ethanol can cause issues with the 550XP. Husky tech said to use high octane fuel. Seen the aspen 2 50:1 ready mix and the aspen 4 fuel needing to be mixed with a decent synthetic oil. Can anyone give me their thoughts? Cheers

Sent from my iPhone using Arbtalk

AllyH we have a customer with both a 550XP & 560XP he has run from new exclusively on Aspen2 he experiences none of the issues other people have with the autotune saws.

The oil in Aspen2 exceeds the current highest rating of JASO FD .

It produces no measurable ash in 1L of burnt oil.

Some people dislike the smell , however it has been proven that when an engine that has previously operated using regular 2 stroke oil and pump fuel is switched to Aspen the emissions will initially be higher , this is because the old existing internal deposits are being cleansed from your engines internals thus causing an initial bad smell until they have gone .

Hope this helps

AllyH we have a customer with both a 550XP & 560XP he has run from new exclusively on Aspen2 he experiences none of the issues other people have with the autotune saws.

The oil in Aspen2 exceeds the current highest rating of JASO FD .

It produces no measurable ash in 1L of burnt oil.

Some people dislike the smell , however it has been proven that when an engine that has previously operated using regular 2 stroke oil and pump fuel is switched to Aspen the emissions will initially be higher , this is because the old existing internal deposits are being cleansed from your engines internals thus causing an initial bad smell until they have gone .

Hope this helps

Just out of interest do you know how the oil in Aspen compares to Red Line Racing 2T oil ? I mix this with Aspen 4 at 50:1 .

Hello,

I'm having a bit of a 'mare' with many aspects of my business at the moment.

One of the 'arguements' currently rattling around is that my business partner thinks my use of Aspen biol chain oil and 2 stroke fuel is an utter waste of time and a quite unnecessary expense.

He has now 'proved' this by demonstrating that one of our Stihl R81 hedge cutters runs better on SP98 with Stihl oil than on Aspen and a mechanic has told him that one of the Stihl 150 saws carb has failed due to using Aspen instead of Stihl Motomix of SP98.

I have to admit the hedgecutter is running better on SP98 than Aspen but surely this is just a question of tuning, no?

As for the carb on the 150...

I've no answer but the other 150 is fine on Aspen.

Ty

Firstly, in what way does the R81 'run better'? I suspect that WOT is just fine on Aspen but there is a slight delay on pickup when opening the throttle, and if this is the case then a slight tweak of the L screw, probably about 1/8 turn anti clockwise will sort it. Anyone in the UK suffering similar issues should just pop in to their local ASC (Aspen Service Centre) as these guys know their stuff.

Secondly, the 150 Carb. There is nothing in Aspen fuel that is not in Motomix, and most importantly there is no ethanol. Its Ethanol that does damage to carbs.

The mechanic who blames the Aspen needs to look a little further IMO.

I have now run probably a thousand or more new machines on Aspen with no detriment to carbs. And even more machines have been converted from pump fuel with only the occassional change of rubber work that has been effected by the previous fuel.

I use nothing but Aspen in all my service work, from blowers to mowers, trimmers to tractors, and have done for over 5 years now and business has not suffered at all. in fact its the opposite, as the customers are delighted with Aspen. No product has ever boosted our business like Aspen has.

I have been to the Aspen factory in Sweden this year and learnt a lot from their chemist Ulf .

Its a great visit Neil is it not? Very informative.

Also so great to see that the Swedish machinery users use virtually nothing but Aspen.

When I asked a customer in a machinery shop there why he prefered Aspen to petrol he was amazed and asked me why I would even think of using petrol.

We have never done any back to back tests comparing 2-stroke oils designed for vehicles with Aspen 2 FRT.

I'm sure that the mix you are creating works fine for your machinery as you have proven to yourself. However, the oil in Aspen 2 has been designed especially for chainsaws and other 2-stroke machinery, with both machinery performance and emissions in mind. Aspen has sold over 50 million litres of the new Aspen 2 FRT mix to thousands of happy customers who demand the best in health and perfomance.

by mixing your own oil with Aspen 4, not only are you spending more money, you are also having the inconveniance of mixing it yourself and potentially getting the mix wrong...

If i was you, i would definetly consider switching to Aspen 2 when you have used up your remaining 2-stroke oil. Or consider selling what you have left to someone who rides 2-stroke bikes.

Each to their own though and you do whatever works best for you :thumbup1::thumbup1:

Just out of interest do you know how the oil in Aspen compares to Red Line Racing 2T oil ? I mix this with Aspen 4 at 50:1 .

Firstly, in what way does the R81 'run better'? I suspect that WOT is just fine on Aspen but there is a slight delay on pickup when opening the throttle, and if this is the case then a slight tweak of the L screw, probably about 1/8 turn anti clockwise will sort it. Anyone in the UK suffering similar issues should just pop in to their local ASC (Aspen Service Centre) as these guys know their stuff.

Secondly, the 150 Carb. There is nothing in Aspen fuel that is not in Motomix, and most importantly there is no ethanol. Its Ethanol that does damage to carbs.

The mechanic who blames the Aspen needs to look a little further IMO.

I have now run probably a thousand or more new machines on Aspen with no detriment to carbs. And even more machines have been converted from pump fuel with only the occassional change of rubber work that has been effected by the previous fuel.

I use nothing but Aspen in all my service work, from blowers to mowers, trimmers to tractors, and have done for over 5 years now and business has not suffered at all. in fact its the opposite, as the customers are delighted with Aspen. No product has ever boosted our business like Aspen has.

Hello and thank you for that.

You have confirmed that I have reason.

Only a matter of tuning at best.

Regards

Ty

Its a great visit Neil is it not? Very informative.

Also so great to see that the Swedish machinery users use virtually nothing but Aspen.

When I asked a customer in a machinery shop there why he prefered Aspen to petrol he was amazed and asked me why I would even think of using petrol.

Really good visiting the Aspen factory Barrie to see how it's made and the quality controls that are in place from the port where the raw alkylate comes in off the tanker through to the finished product , gives me as a fellow Aspen service centre even more confidence when selling this fuel.

Great talk from their chemists where we learnt even more about Aspen and pump fuels.

Dealer visits were interesting apparently 60% of the fuel buying public / pros use Alkylate fuels , Aspen being the leading brand , is even available in DIY superstores.