Which Chipper??

Stuart Witt

Oh my god! this is going to open a can of worms!

I've used quite a few and there are two I'd consider if I ever bought one,

Jenson, we've used tracked and towed ones they seem very well made and work very well. Build quality seems very good.

Timberwolf, well only used the 150 both in tracked and road tow, They seem good machines but I think they need replacing regularly, we've been using one with 1000 hrs on this week and it seems tired, with bits loose and worn.

Having said all that a mate has been using an Arbor eater for the past 2 weeks and he's singing its praises, though I think they need to run it a bit longer to get an accurate verdict

Wise words. For all round use go Jensen.

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Surely it depends on the type of tree work your doing? If you spend a lot of time backing up peoples driveways with a Ford Transit I doubt whether some of the chippers mentioned in this thread would fit - or even if the Ford Transit would move!!

Naturally it depends on what type of work you do, we just brought a 7.5t Canter so we can tow the big chipper and to it when full and still be legal. but sure we can tow the chipper to the job with one of the transits but you could only put about "Umm let me think" not alot of wood chips in the back before your overloaded.

Does the lot

Never fails to impress on site clearance.

Nifty enough to back down any driveway - as long as there is room for the truck.

Maintenance is a breeze.

Supplier backup is the best service I have received from any company ever.

I'm pleased that you've had a good run with yours Nailer.They seem to be a bit "hit and miss" at Vermeer lately.I worked with one BC1000 that ate clutches like it was going out of fashion and had seemlingly undending problems with the auto feed control.

Vermeer like their hand clutches and theirs nothing wrong with that,except with a "step down starter motor" could they eliminate the need for a clutch?

A year after the BC1000 fiasco I worked with a BC1400 that was also a lemon.Stress control failed so often we permanently bypassed it,switches failed constantly,solenoids died,finally the bolts fell out of the engine mounts and the motor almost fell out.All the new BC1800's in the States had to be recalled the following year as the frame would crack behind the engine.

Funny thing is that the company I worked for had an old BC1800 with a Perkins engine in it.No stress controll or frills and that thing kept on chugging and by design a much better simpler machine.