Stump grinding ganoderma advice

onetruth

Toadstool producing fungus such as Armillaria I suppose could survive, but personally, i've never seen any bracket forming fungus putting out fruiting bodies on a pile of grindings. It may still be there but i'd imagine a lot less infectious than when producing spores.

Toadstool producing fungus such as Armillaria I suppose could survive, but personally, i've never seen any bracket forming fungus putting out fruiting bodies on a pile of grindings. It may still be there but i'd imagine a lot less infectious than when producing spores.

Armillaria is pretty endemic and usually gets the upper hand when trees aren't healthy or stressed. I think I've read a recommendation though to grind out as much as possible and remove.

Bracket forming fungi will have released millions of spores anyway, so probably unnecessary to do anything. Just my opinion.

Armillaria is pretty endemic and usually gets the upper hand when trees aren't healthy or stressed. I think I've read a recommendation though to grind out as much as possible and remove.

30 years ago the curator at RHS Wisley wouldn't allow grinding, roots had to be removed and taken to a stump dump for burning.

30 years ago the curator at RHS Wisley wouldn't allow grinding, roots had to be removed and taken to a stump dump for burning.

That was when labour was probably a lot cheaper.:biggrin:

I'm not aware of any research and image it would be difficult to prove which of grinding -leaving,grinding-removing or digging was most beneficial. Too many factors involved.

That was when labour was probably a lot cheaper.:biggrin:

I'm not aware of any research and image it would be difficult to prove which of grinding -leaving,grinding-removing or digging was most beneficial. Too many factors involved.

It was done with a back acter.

This was the same chap that took in a load of leaf sweepings as mulch from the local parks department, he hadn't reckoned on the loading with simazine.

As Gary said, wood-decay fungi are everywhere. Ganoderma spores are everywhere, as they're so very common (specifically Ganoderma australe, which is probably on this cherry). The other cherries are probably already colonised (to many different possible degrees) by this fungus as well if they are semi-mature or mature, though the fungus simply hasn't produced fruiting bodies on the other trees that can be seen. This doesn't imply the other trees aren't 'healthy', though that term is quite non-descript for trees. Is 'healthy' totally void of parasitic fungi, or are we running just by crown symptoms?

Grinding down the stump and taking out as much of the material as possible is therefore an exercise in futility. You're also removing a great habitat for many saprotrophic fungi that may make the cherry stump their home.