Stolen!!!!!

greenvalleytrees

Unfortunately the majority of people don't write down any serial numbers. I know someone who has had 6 lots of tools stolen from their van. They have no idea what make/model or serial number even for the 6th lot!! Then when property is recovered by police some of these products have got numbers written all over them and if you don't know what you are looking for, you could be taking a product number rather than a serial number. If a serial number is just on a sticky label which has been removed that makes it even harder.

It would be great if all the big manufacturers - Garden equipment, power tools, etc had SN before the number. Otherwise you see a number and think that's got to be it! That the number is on a sticky label and engraved on a plate and that each manufacturer had an info email address (that gets answered and not ignored) that you could contact with said serial number where they could tell you which retailer it was sold to and the retailer to have the products on sale has to take the customers details. Even better the retailer has fed back the details to the manufacturer. Obviously that wouldn't help with second hand sales but it would be a start. Stihl and Husqvarna are good at this but the power tool companies have been useless.

There is a public website called http://www.immobilise.com where people can register their property. Anything with a serial number- push bikes, mobiles, garden equipment- can go on there. You can also add photos. Police use a linked site. In theory all police forces should use it when they recover property.

But it goes back to putting the right serial number down and not a part number.

Sent from my iPhone using Arbtalk

Unfortunately the majority of people don't write down any serial numbers. I know someone who has had 6 lots of tools stolen from their van. They have no idea what make/model or serial number even for the 6th lot!! Then when property is recovered by police some of these products have got numbers written all over them and if you don't know what you are looking for, you could be taking a product number rather than a serial number. If a serial number is just on a sticky label which has been removed that makes it even harder.

It would be great if all the big manufacturers - Garden equipment, power tools, etc had SN before the number. Otherwise you see a number and think that's got to be it! That the number is on a sticky label and engraved on a plate and that each manufacturer had an info email address (that gets answered and not ignored) that you could contact with said serial number where they could tell you which retailer it was sold to and the retailer to have the products on sale has to take the customers details. Even better the retailer has fed back the details to the manufacturer. Obviously that wouldn't help with second hand sales but it would be a start. Stihl and Husqvarna are good at this but the power tool companies have been useless.

There is a public website called http://www.immobilise.com where people can register their property. Anything with a serial number- push bikes, mobiles, garden equipment- can go on there. You can also add photos. Police use a linked site. In theory all police forces should use it when they recover property.

But it goes back to putting the right serial number down and not a part number.

Sent from my iPhone using Arbtalk

Are they not paying tax ? All serial numbers are on your invoices when buying gear... unless it's stolen to begin with.

If every chainsaw user in the country spent a few mins per saw to photo each saw including the serial number and stored it on his phone, icloud , hard drive etc, if he did get broken into then he has a head start. You would photo your car , dog etc so why not your saws?

...but there's the arbsafe service on here where you can store all that info and flag it as stolen if necessary. Everyone on here has then got access to see stolen items or type a serial number of a saw they are offered or repairing to check.

It needs a big database before it becomes effective

There's no charge at present

...but there's the arbsafe service on here where you can store all that info and flag it as stolen if necessary. Everyone on here has then got access to see stolen items or type a serial number of a saw they are offered or repairing to check.

It needs a big database before it becomes effective

There's no charge at present

I am not saying instead I am saying as well, very useful if kit found with serial numbers ground off or seen advertised on internet

• 3 weeks later...
That....plus people just dont register their stuff even when its free to do so :banghead:

Steve is it just my rubbish fat fingered computing skills, but I have listed some of my kit but I can't upload any pics, it just goes to a blank screen on Arbsafe when I press the upload button?