husky 480 cd

hobbo73

Hi Guys first time poster so go easy with me,

recently needed a saw with more torq and a aggressive cut as iv been dealing with girthy beech and my usual saws gip at it,

so decided to go with the husky 480cd as my budget was tight and to be honest im having a struggle starting it!

It seems to want to go but after a little choke it fires all but shortly and dies cant get more than a few seconds out of her,

the compression seems fine there is a good spark so im at a loss i realise all machines are different and take a while to learn but i have a log pile growing by the day ad need to deal with it sooner rather than later.

Any advice would be great cheers in advance.

Hi and welcome.

I'm sure others with more knowledge of that saw will add some good advise later, but for what it's worth, here's my advice.

It's an old saw and if you don't know it's maintenance history, I'm be checking fuel hoses, carb diaphragms and impulse hoses (if it has one). Hoses will rot and diaphragms become stiff. Before you do all that, and still assuming that you don't know its history, I'd probably just pull the exhaust off first just to be sure you don't have any bigger issues with the state of the piston and cylinder.

As Dan says it sounds like a fuel issue and has suggested the main issues.

A carb clean, new diaphragm kit and a new fuel line will hopefully get you back on the road.

If its been stored with fuel in it over time the carb gums up, the diaphragms are affected and the fuel line can go soft and almost melt into a goo over time.

480 Was a great old saw, but before you start pulling carbs off awaus start with the easiest and cheapest things first, use a suitable wire hook to pull the fuel hose out of the tank and replace the fuel filter on the end, the pipe is barley long enough to get the filter out through the filler hole so go careful or the filter will come off and the pipe shot back into the tank