how secure are roller doors?

Graham w

Hi guys, are industrial roller doors tough enough to keep out thieves or idle youths?

there is no obvious hinges or exterior locks to cut, i accept that you will never stop them all but we have to try :thumbup1:

they wouldnt normally be my first choice in terms of security but the doors are for the log hauls on a sawmill where normal folding doors are impractical.

also if the standard locks are pants i should be able to beef them up

thoughts and other options welcome! thanks

Idle youths maybe. But if a gang turn up with a nicked forklift to lift it or ram the roller with something big... well.

You may think to yourself, "Well that would keep me out, if I lost my keys/remote." But if you had to break-in to your own property, you'd also be wanting to cause as little damage as possible. Scum don't think that way. With them, it's not, "Oh there's a lock. Let's get the picks out." It's probably more a case of, "Hmm. We passed a large Transit/minibus/lorry on the way here. Why not nick that and do some real damage."

Think of it this way. If you really wanted to get into somewhere and you weren't going to pay for the damage. What's the quickest, easiest and probably most damaging way past security?

Edited by TGB

Roller Shutters are good, the weak point is normley the roof of side door etc, iv got roller shutters and my side door is home made out of box section. & plate with a van lock welded on, and a silent alarm that rings my mob (iv 3 mins away) most thieves will avoid roller shutters due to the racket they make

A major worry to me, as you would cut your way through in a minute or two with a Stihl saw. But, they are easy to secure with the bullet locks and bolt downs. We have h/d crash bars in front of ours.

As said before, security has to be in layers. Last year our neighbour got done over, external steel cladding pried off, then they hammered through the block-work to get in. Bar stewards

They're not secure as such but depending on your location what can help is the noise made getting through them. Company I worked for twice had them attacked with stihl saws but we were located in industrial site where other units had night watchmen, both times they heard the noise and knew someone was getting done over and called the police. One of the security guys actually went out and made himself visible so that criminals knew they'd been spotted.

3rd time the warehouse got done over they smashed in through the brick back wall and emptied the shelves right up to area where the alarm sensors began, obviously an inside job.

Roller doors...secure....no. I worked in a warehouse for about ten years. Point of entry every time was the goods out roller doors, just so easy. They used to back the lorries up to the doors in effort to beat them. We went in one morning to find the roofs peeled open and the doors forced. They got past security dog patrols, CCTV, and interior infra red beams. This time of year booze and fags were the target. Inside help was eventually proven, one of the lorry drivers was found to have substantial quantities of stock on his loft and garage. But the level of damage was incredible, 6 truck roofs peeled open and 6 roller doors wrecked. The value of the goods stolen was a fraction of the damage caused, and the downtime of unusable vehicles.

they are hopeless!

a transit can ram them with next to no damage to the van. suggest adding ram raid bollards (or similar) in front of the door. must be visible to the potential scrote as you are liable to injuries on your property regardless of their reason being on the premises. Therefore do not park eg a forklift behind the doors to stop entry.

hopefully the addition of bollards will be a deterrent and stop them causing damage.