New build landscaping

miker

Does anyone do landscaping around new developments,ie, houses,care homes etc, i would like to know what soil you put down,ie existing or imported,

If you use existing soil,do you screen and treat for weeds ?

Depth of bark mulch ?

The reason i ask is im having problems with a job which has been landscaped and i have to maintain it.

I have costed the job on a monthly basis,4 visits per month.lawns,shrub beds etc

What i didnt expect was for all the shrub beds to look like a lawn of weeds after 3 weeks, also im pulling out bricks,roots ,turf,concrete,plastic etc from the soil,which is barely below the surface,a smattering of bark has been laid straight on the soil with no liner.

Do any of you have a spec to work to/client requirement or is it the norm to use existing soil

cheers mike

Does anyone do landscaping around new developments,ie, houses,care homes etc, i would like to know what soil you put down,ie existing or imported,

Depth of bark mulch ?

The reason i ask is im having problems with a job which has been landscaped and i have to maintain it.

I have costed the job on a monthly basis,4 visits per month.lawns,shrub beds etc

What i didnt expect was for all the shrub beds to look like a lawn of weeds after 3 weeks, also im pulling out bricks,roots ,turf,concrete,plastic etc from the soil,which is barely below the surface,a smattering of bark has been laid straight on the soil with no liner.

Do any of you have a spec to work to/client requirement or is it the norm to use existing soil

cheers mike

Existing soil could be used under the turf with a suitable membrane new soil should have been bought in thats heat treated for beds suitable membrane and 100mm of bark but this costs most developers are behind schedule and just throw any old crap in the garden. Makes me work as when the house is sold the garden looks awful and they want it redoing. Picked up 3 jobs this season from reasonably new houses with very poor gardens.

Depth of bark mulch ?

cheers mike

Thats about right for a new build, hide the crap we will be long gone by the time its found.

Existing soil could be used under the turf with a suitable membrane new soil should have been bought in thats heat treated for beds suitable membrane and 100mm of bark but this costs most developers are behind schedule and just throw any old crap in the garden. Makes me work as when the house is sold the garden looks awful and they want it redoing. Picked up 3 jobs this season from reasonably new houses with very poor gardens.

Last year my brother bought a house the ground wasn't level and looks like they didn't water the turf at all and it went yellow pretty quickly, managed to recover it in the end but its quite thin (doesn't help that he cuts his grass like monthly with a flymo)

Some of the landscaping blunders I've seen this year do make me wonder.

Turf over concrete it was doing really well:lol:

Concrete post 3 inch in the ground

Side gate nailed to a brick wall

shrubs planted in there pots

stump with 90 % 0f the roots grubbed out and 80ft euc stick still standing up

you should come and have a look at my site, got turf on turf,turf on stones, turf on bits of arris rail,turf in the shrub beds, turf chucked over metal railings etc etc, this is a prestigeous care home too, bloody awful

It is a builder's duty to bury what he can in the garden. I have seen them using wacker plates to level ground and bricks before laying the turf. Maybe if they could garden they wouldn't be builders? I had some builders washing the cement lorry out on the football pitch I had to mow. I very nearly dug up some turf to throw in the newly laid concrete but was stopped by a fellow groundsman

you should come and have a look at my site, got turf on turf,turf on stones, turf on bits of arris rail,turf in the shrub beds, turf chucked over metal railings etc etc, this is a prestigeous care home too, bloody awful

Ive started a job that was completed by a rival company 5 years ago most of the plants failed. They planted yew in an agricultural hedge shame theres livestock the other side. The patio was layed on sand and sunk in the middle the pond only ever stopped two 3rds full. There is lots of paths and walling that was done by one of the lads that know work for me that are good. This company charged 120k for this work