What effect would scottish independence have on the UK tree industry?

daltontrees

Genuine unloaded question, but I am curious to know how people see this. I expect not many will be interested in the question, especially non-scots, and I really can't be bothered with any rants about the politics of it. But what if? And if we share the £sterling or don't? And if scotland is no longer part of the EU or comes back in later and the rest of the UK votes to get out of the EU?

I am thinking about employment law, certification of kit, regulation, pests and diseases and plant orders etc.

• Replies 305
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Genuine unloaded question, but I am curious to know how people see this. I expect not many will be interested in the question, especially non-scots, and I really can't be bothered with any rants about the politics of it. But what if? And if we share the £sterling or don't? And if scotland is no longer part of the EU or comes back in later and the rest of the UK votes to get out of the EU?

I am thinking about employment law, certification of kit, regulation, pests and diseases and plant orders etc.

It wont have any effect on the UK industry because Scottish tree work would be outside the UK.

We will go on as before, the scots will have to sort themselves a currency and various standards for tree work

It wont have any effect on the UK industry because Scottish tree work would be outside the UK.

We will go on as before, the scots will have to sort themselves a currency and various standards for tree work

But for any company that currently trades from say England with scottish companies?

I suppose we will have to pay for any timber purchases in Euro`s :001_tt2:

Bob

Only in Alex Salmond's dreams! But it's a good point, you would have to pay a fee for converting £s to euros, would that make Scotland less competitive? Or would Scotland have all the trees and a captive market?

But for any company that currently trades from say England with scottish companies?

That's going to be a problem for all trading partners in all industry. We wont let them have the Pound and the Euro wont have them either so they will be back to painting their faces blue and bartering for the things they need.

Its going to be murder keeping change for a sheep when they come to pay a bill.:laugh1:

Only in Alex Salmond's dreams! But it's a good point, you would have to pay a fee for converting £s to euros, would that make Scotland less competitive? Or would Scotland have all the trees and a captive market?

The fluctuating currency may have an affect on timber sales for the Scottish as would buying new kit or spares from mainland Britain. If they ended up with the Euro it could all go pear shaped.

Bob