Motives and methods (taken from the Word to the wise...)

Gary Prentice

I have said on here before these people are bold and you don't need to get yourself into a situation where you have to try to prove yourself, the best way to try to stop it is to make kit as secure and hard to steal as possible.

Being charged with attempted murder is going to cause a whole load more grief than an insurance claim.

I think we sometimes drop our guard a bit when we have nothing stolen for a few years, and leave kit vulnerable, I know I used to be guilty of that,

For the fear of sounding like a parrot, manufacturers, importers and dealers could help reduce theft if they really wanted to, and insurance companies could force their hand to do it.

Too true on all counts. We often leave entry doors unlocked all night, relying on the dogs being in. Truth to be told, the biggest threat they pose is probably tripping a burglar up in the dark. Then the'd be rolling over for a tummy rub...

but don't tell anyone.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When I retailed power tools at least 50% of my sales were replacements for stolen equipment, both manufacturers and retailers would suffer quite a big reduction in sales if theft were zero.

I certainly would have struggled to sell enough new power tools to make a decent profit

That just doesn't make sense Dean

If there was no theft then those who thieve would have to buy (assuming they needed the items) and so you would have sold the same. But would have a scummier class of customers:001_rolleyes:

That just doesn't make sense Dean

If there was no theft then those who thieve would have to buy (assuming they needed the items) and so you would have sold the same. But would have a scummier class of customers:001_rolleyes:

I think you will probably find the type of people who end up with the stolen kit would be the type that would not be prepared to go buy new anyway.

Afraid it does make sense. I spoke to a dealership about suggested fitting of trackers and alarms as standard. I was told that it was not in their interest as replacement on insurance was big business. Sad but true. I bet every dealer would silently agree, but not say loudly :001_smile:

Hence the insurance companies have the power to force their hand.

They aren't interested in the tools for work. They don't work for a living, stealing is their profession. All they're interested in is the re-sell value. Cheap Aldi goods would have no value, top of the range pro tools will fetch them good £££s. We have to stop thinking that they think like us. They don't.

I think you will probably find the type of people who end up with the stolen kit would be the type that would not be prepared to go buy new anyway.

OK

Think this through

They need the kit

They can't knick it because security and tracking has improved by dealer involvement and insurers reducing premiums for firms that fit trackers etc etc.

They have to buy if they want kit or buy on e bay second hand.

Well that puts up the price of second hand and encourages pros. to buy more regularly as they can sell their used kit for better money.

I'm sorry but using the excuse that it encourages sales is not as valid as you think.

Dodgey traders charging dodgy prices will still make their profit even if they have to buy new kit.