Big T`s first chipper refurb thread!

Big T

Hiya!

Picked up my first ever chipper lastnight, an Entec Chippit, 18hp gravity fed jobbie from Arbtalk member Ukminch (Top bloke!) I got it for a good price as it has some issues that need sorting but seeing as I am an ex aircraft mechanic and my dad is a retired welder/fabricator it should be a nice little project! The chipper is running and has had a new anvil, flywheel bearings etc,and the engine was serviced shortly before it was laid up (approx 12 months ago). So basically the important parts are sorted, just needs a little TLC! Planned jobs are;

Rewire the ignition system.

Repair/strenghen the hopper (that almost fell off on the way home due to rust)

Re-shim or somehow sort out the shoot clamping arrangement as its gone slack due to use.

Repair/repaint the body panels. (Thinking about JCB yellow as I can get the paint and it was originally yellow and dont wanna look like im trying to make it look like a Timberwolf!)

Build a new chassis as the one on it is VERY solid and I want it as light as possible so I can move it easily!

Pics will start coming tomorrow, please feel free to post your pics/refurb:thumbup: pics!

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks Rob!

Made a start today! Todays work was;

1) Shorted the towbat a tad.

2) Fix Mudguards on.

3) Weld in some plate steel under where the shoot bolts on to try and make the bolts grip it better (typical entec/timberwolf prob!)

Had a look at the wiring. Turns out the Solinoid was ok so just trying to work out where all of the wires go on the back of the ignition switch! Anyone got any ideas? I have the following wires;

Black

White

Blue

Red

And the following terminals on the back of the ignition switch;

ST

ACC

IGN

BAT

Does anyone know what goes where???

Now for the pics.........

DSCF2380.jpg.edf36e7ac232f522e48c8aed2d54d740.jpg

DSCF2377.jpg.c03f8c09ad9af6f688c30520378c5c6b.jpg

DSCF2375.jpg.b5fe01a74dd5bc046ae0b5f6b916a64b.jpg

DSCF2373.jpg.82573e2a2284b1db6d131937bf29c2af.jpg

DSCF2372.jpg.541162a1fc050ab545554d84dce2277a.jpg

DSCF2376.jpg.2055ce72f5671b1b38c08fc0b173a29b.jpg

Oh right solenoid was just clicking hence the new one. Im trying to remember what wires were which. Im sure its permanently live, and the black and red just operate the starter solenoid. The white on earth's it to kill it and is also connected to the oil pressure switch if it drops to low. The blue one I think was something to do with the charging circuit.

KH hire were the guys that did the switch and bearings and it was a general ignition switch rather than a genuine entec/timberwolf one they might know, but hopefully someone else will

R

Well here she is in all her glory!

The ignition was sorted today so now she starts and runs fine! The hopper was rewelded and additional strenthening was welded in to hopefully stop it breaking again! The shoot had some 3mm plates welded in under the shoot flange to bring the top of the flange up so that the clamp bolts will now hold it. New bolts and spacers were made as the thread on the old ones were well worn. A spanner will be kept handy to tighten and slacken them as required! The bodywork was given a quick rub down and resprayed in JCB yellow, didnt want to try and make it look like a Timberwolf by spraying it orange. Not a bad job, didnt go too mad with it as after all its a machine to be used! I decided to leave it on the current chassis for the mo and build a new one when time permits and then simply put the chipper on the new one. Would have been nice to do it now but I will need the machine out and working for me asap! All in all a nice little project, it isnt perfect by any means but it now looks tidy and will be put to work soon!:)