timberwolf chipper issues

tree climber

hi guys

was using the timberwolf t150 the other day chipping a load of conifer and poplar brash all going well till after lunch, when putting in brash of pretty much any size the engine started struggling almost sounded like it wasnt firing right even when the stress control had engaged, the rollers seemed to be spinning faster than normal as well. if you backed off the revs though and then put it back up to full it ran fine again all would be well for a few minutes and then same thing would happen was wondering if it may be a possible fuel problem as the tank was about a quarter full and seems to be a fair amount of crud in there, wondered wether it may be sucking this in under load as the tank is low, just wondered if any of you guys had any similar problems in the past or any ideas what it could be?

Have you got an in-line clear plactic paper filter- you know, the ones that are yellow cardboard inside? If that is full of brown sludge then this is your problem: there is a bug that lives between the surface of water and (especially red) diesel. When this bug dies it leaves a brown sludge which blocks up your filters. On low revs enough fuel gets through to run nicely, on higher revs or under load there is fuel starvation. Get yourself down to a car parts place and get a bottle of additive called (i think) "Fuel Set". It is green in a clear bottle. You should put one dose in every time you fill up, but this time drain your tank, refill it and put a few doses in. The problem, if it is what i have described, comes from condensation in your diesel. It as been a problem in marine diesel for yaers, and is becoming prevelant in red diesel and even white, esp from tescos, where they buy cheap fuel which doesnt have the proper additives in it. Hop this helps.

You will obviously need new filters too if this is the problem. It looks like liquid mud in your filters.

Have you got an in-line clear plactic paper filter- you know, the ones that are yellow cardboard inside? If that is full of brown sludge then this is your problem: there is a bug that lives between the surface of water and (especially red) diesel. When this bug dies it leaves a brown sludge which blocks up your filters. On low revs enough fuel gets through to run nicely, on higher revs or under load there is fuel starvation. Get yourself down to a car parts place and get a bottle of additive called (i think) "Fuel Set". It is green in a clear bottle. You should put one dose in every time you fill up, but this time drain your tank, refill it and put a few doses in. The problem, if it is what i have described, comes from condensation in your diesel. It as been a problem in marine diesel for yaers, and is becoming prevelant in red diesel and even white, esp from tescos, where they buy cheap fuel which doesnt have the proper additives in it. Hop this helps.

You will obviously need new filters too if this is the problem. It looks like liquid mud in your filters.

I had the same problem in my TD5, I took the fuel pump out, and what looked like greasy sludge was hanging on the pump.

A few weeks ago my old man had the same problem on his boat, it's apparently a fungus and can be treated with this stuff as well http://http://www.silmid.com/biobor/biocide.htm )

all i would add that others have not said is that you really need to clen the tank thoroughly . there is an algie that causes this problem but unless you clean the tank really well and as has already been said you change every filter then the problem will keep recouring . the problem may be more likely if you have been storeing pleanty of diesel in drums this can also cause it

if the tank has got alot of crap floating around at the bottom (common if you fill from cans frequently) take the tank off and steam clean it out, shake as much water as u can out of the tank then use a hot air gun like the decorators use in the filler neck to warm the tank through and evaporate any water