Hello and chainsaw oil feed mystery

Jammytask

Hello folks, it's my first post on this forum. I'm a Brit living in rural France.

I've got a question relating to a chainsaw problem. After having a break in and 2 Stihls nicked I now have an Active 51.51 chainsaw (cheaper and not so attractive to thieves I hope!)

It's developed a problem where it's feeding chain oil into the engine resulting in loads of smoke and abrupt cutting out. My local repair guy isn't interested i repairing it so I'm going to have a go myself (I used to work on aircraft in the military). Can anyone think what the possible issue may be that could lead to the chain oil finding a route into the motor side of the saw?

Thanks in advance.

Chris

Thanks Mikerecike. I've got the thing in 1000 pieces now and split the case. The paper gasket has a tear in it that would allow chain oil onto the crankshaft which would then pass past the piston rings into the head. When I upturned the chainsaw the oil was literally pouring out of the exhaust port or carb depending on which direction. I'll get a new gasket set and try rebuilding it but there's no obvious cracks.

Any other ideas as to the cause before I close it back up?

Thanks again.

Chris

Thanks Mikerecike. I've got the thing in 1000 pieces now and split the case. The paper gasket has a tear in it that would allow chain oil onto the crankshaft which would then pass past the piston rings into the head. When I upturned the chainsaw the oil was literally pouring out of the exhaust port or carb depending on which direction. I'll get a new gasket set and try rebuilding it but there's no obvious cracks.

Any other ideas as to the cause before I close it back up?

Thanks again.

Chris

I would say the " cause " is poor design , bad working tolerances , made to a price etc etc ......You get what you pay for , by cheap by twice and all those other chestnuts ! Buy a Husqvarna and up your securety . :001_smile:

Hi & Welcome

Never heard of Active but buy cheap, buy twice

For around £330 you could have had a Dolmar 420 or a 350 for a bit less

If you live in France search Amazon.de & you will find them priced in Euros & free delivery to mainland EU - a lot cheaper than France.

N