My saw won't start either

djbobbins

So - my faithful(ish) first ever saw is refusing to start. Realistically I don't need it as I've bought a Husky as a replacement, but I'm tight and don't want to throw it away...

It's an Aldi job (was given to me) and over the years I've done a few minor fixes but the situation now is:

- it's got spark and compression

- I'd done things like heat the spark plug up to make sure it wasn't oiled but with no success

- the fuel is fresh(ish) and it will fire and run for 2-3 seconds if the carb is primed direct e.g. with the air filter taken off and a dribble of petrol

I am therefore assuming it's starved of fuel - blocked filter or perished fuel line?

Anyone got any pointers on where to start to dismantle?

Sent using Arbtalk Mobile App

So - my faithful(ish) first ever saw is refusing to start. Realistically I don't need it as I've bought a Husky as a replacement, but I'm tight and don't want to throw it away...

It's an Aldi job (was given to me) and over the years I've done a few minor fixes but the situation now is:

- it's got spark and compression

- I'd done things like heat the spark plug up to make sure it wasn't oiled but with no success

- the fuel is fresh(ish) and it will fire and run for 2-3 seconds if the carb is primed direct e.g. with the air filter taken off and a dribble of petrol

I am therefore assuming it's starved of fuel - blocked filter or perished fuel line?

Anyone got any pointers on where to start to dismantle?

Put it in a box and send it back to China:lol:

I would be looking at the metering arm and raising it a little - other than that, holed fuel line, blocked fuel filter, crap in the gauze filter in the carb are all usual culprits!

Had it apart today out in the daylight and fresh air! Fuel line okay, filter seems to be okay, diaphragms in the carb okay, but no fuel lift from the tank into the carb, even when I tried taking the filter off completely. No fuel making its way into the pipe, either when pulled on the starter cord or primed with fuel into the carb.

Got me flummoxed but it is looking like becoming a boat anchor, which is a shame - always cut well, piston, bar and several chains in good nick.

ask yourself what draws the fuel from the tank ??? etc then work out why its not drawing fuel

Re this above:.basic check...is the carb screwed on tightly?any loosening of nuts/machine screws will let air in and compromise impulse suction.similarly with any engine casing screws bolts if you can reach them double check theyre tight.

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Arbtalk mobile app

No, carb gauze is clear, no holes in fuel line and I tried it with the fuel filter off and it still wouldn't pull fuel through. The carb is all screwed together snugly. Got a day off tomorrow so may dismantle again and check the impulse lines and engine case screws!