Unimog U300/400

Jonny69

Hello,

Sorry to be a pain and ask about unimogs but I cant find if this subject has been covered.

Before I start ringing dealers on Monday and spending hours on the phone can anyone clarify some details for me please

I would like a u300-400 Long or standard wheelbase to put a front mount chipper, rear side tip box and tow an ag/lorry trailer, maybe with a trailer crane or a smaller crane behind the chipbox. The trailer can be a secondary issue, just want to deal with the chipper, tractor and chipbox at the moment.

Ideally the chipper would be a schliesing or Jensen 8 inch.

What spec PTO do I need. I am told that the front PTO's on the machines run direct off the crank? Do I need a reversing or speed reduction box? The mogs I am looking at already have a DIN plate so I assume that is standard fitment for front mount.

Is there a specific model code that allows me to know whether the chipper is a front or rear mount? can I buy a rear mount schliesing 440 and make it fit the front somehow?

Is there anything else to consider apart from making sure it has the 10ton not the 7.5ton plating?

Does anyone have an idea about how large the chipbox difference would be between the two wheelbases in cubic m?

Sorry for all the questions, I am sure there will be more.

Many Thanks

Jonathan

But a front mounted chipper, they are lighter and already have the reverse gearbox in place if needed.

A long wheel base Mog is approx 1m longer than standard so you can do your math from there.

You could buy a normal chipper and then add the gearbox and make it to suit a din plate if youmwerenthat way minded.

But a front mounted chipper, they are lighter and already have the reverse gearbox in place if needed.

A long wheel base Mog is approx 1m longer than standard so you can do your math from there.

You could buy a normal chipper and then add the gearbox and make it to suit a din plate if youmwerenthat way minded.

Thanks for the advice. I know very little about the subject so not really sure what to expect from a standard size body. How high can I go?

Where do I buy the chipper from. New or used what is best?

All I think I know is you seem to get a lot more flexibility and carrying capacity compared to 3.5ton trucks. With very little issues except a few bills. Though the efficiency will null that. Looking at spending 25k on a newish landy tipper. Well I can get a U300 for not much more than that.

Where should I be going for advice? Lots of people mention AC Price to talk to.

a U300 for 25k........not even in fantasy land, there are a few second hand U300's knocking about, usually ex utility company ones, you would need to check the specs on any one very carefully, PTO's on mogs run through a seperate gearbox and are not connected to the crank directly, rear runs conventional, front runs reversed and high speed option matches crank rotation, the U300 is the smallest of the fishbowl screen models in carrying capacity, and has been phased out. if your on a 25k budget you would be much better looking at an older square cab model, U1500, if you want a smaller framed model or U1700or U2100 model if you are wanting the larger frame, long wheelbase models, add a 50 to the model no. or if you wsnt longer U 1700 36, or 37, for the 2.6mtr or 3.7 mtr( also aplies to ex utility U2100's etc ), you have the problem with the long wheelbase models as very few of these were produced as agri spec machines due to the complexities of fiting rear linkages, again they are out there, but command higher prices. Good luck finding a mog that suits you, there will be one out there somewhere, just takes time and money to get it.

a U300 for 25k........not even in fantasy land, there are a few second hand U300's knocking about, usually ex utility company ones, you would need to check the specs on any one very carefully, PTO's on mogs run through a seperate gearbox and are not connected to the crank directly, rear runs conventional, front runs reversed and high speed option matches crank rotation, the U300 is the smallest of the fishbowl screen models in carrying capacity, and has been phased out. if your on a 25k budget you would be much better looking at an older square cab model, U1500, if you want a smaller framed model or U1700or U2100 model if you are wanting the larger frame, long wheelbase models, add a 50 to the model no. or if you wsnt longer U 1700 36, or 37, for the 2.6mtr or 3.7 mtr( also aplies to ex utility U2100's etc ), you have the problem with the long wheelbase models as very few of these were produced as agri spec machines due to the complexities of fiting rear linkages, again they are out there, but command higher prices. Good luck finding a mog that suits you, there will be one out there somewhere, just takes time and money to get it.

Cheers for that. I may have worded the bit about 25k wrong. I meant that a mog would carry, with a trailer 8-10x more chip and log and the cost is not directly relative to the increase in carrying capacity. I have no fear of throwing a few quid and doing it properly. However It would be nice to start with just the unimog, chipbox and chipper. I can borrow trailers from friends to see what I like, length, width, height etc and buy from there.

Problem is I cant really borrow a unimog for a couple of weeks to see how I get on and borrowing a few to try and see what size would be best is even harder! Hence wanting some advice.

Would I need a model number ending 50 to achieve a 10m3 chip box or more on the vehicle or is it best to stay a bit shorter and make the box higher?