Turkey Oak - What is it good for?

Al North

I have been offered an oak tree free of charge so had planned to mill a large proportion of it. Unfortunately when I have got a proper look at it I believe it is actually a Turkey Oak. A quick look through various woodworking websites seems to show that it is very poorly rated for just about anything. I was thinking of making some bits of rustic furniture from it.

Does anyone have any experience of it?

Are you sure it's Turkey Oak?

If it's a cross pollinated Turkey Oak with eg, Sessile Oak it may be fine.... assuming it has plenty of heartwood.

I found the most accurate way to tell if it is Turkey Oak is by the buds.

In our woods I found other oaks that have red/orange streaks in the bark (like Turkey Oak) but normal oak buds, ie not wispy. They are probably hybrids & are usable.

Here's the genuine Turkey Oak with hairy/wispy buds I found in our woods. The tree also had a long straight stem and a small percentage of heartwood. I chopped it up and use it to level out a ditch, now buried under soil for bugs to munch. :thumbup:

cheers, steve

image.jpg.4790b196411657e3180555a232a5d04a.jpg

Not much use to modern industry & methods.

Historically cut or cleaved very thin on the true quarter & used for panels {Wainscote} in English country houses. Very wide rays...

Great firewood when dry as long as you waiste off most of the sapwood. {Just done it obce for are own firewood of a standing dead one that was no longer standing.} So no good for fast turnaround commercial Id guess.

Smells really strong & Ive still got bit of steel in my leg from splitting a knotty piece with steel wedge & cheap sledgehammer.

I've herd due to its very poor burning characteristics its used for making fire doors and other things in Oak that need to have a good fire rating.

Other than that it stinks when you cut it. Its heavier than you think it otherwise would be. It has a lot of sap wood, it doesn't burn very well. It always seems to cut on the wonk. Oh and did i mention that it really smells when you cut it?

I've herd due to its very poor burning characteristics its used for making fire doors and other things in Oak that need to have a good fire rating.

That cant be right, when central heating house dry {Is that 10% or something less?} it burns really really well.

it does smell though.....