Chainsaw beginner - can't get Husq going after refuel

ATC1983

Bear in mind I'm a beginner that only got saw for home use...

I came to refill my Husq 455 rancher today for the first time, then couldn't get it going. I know the saw is 50:1 mix, but I'm wondering if I've put the correct fuel in and if it (strictly) matters if I don't get the mix exact.

The fuel I used I got from b/q, namely for saw oil

http://www.diy.com/diy/jsp/bq/nav.jsp?action=detail&fh_secondid=9219170&fh_location=//catalog01/en_GB/categories%3C{9372012}/categories%3C{9372021}/categories%3C{9372064}/categories%3C{9512016}/specificationsProductType=engine_oils

and as a mixer b/q pro performance 2 stroke:

http://www.diy.com/diy/jsp/bq/nav.jsp?action=detail&fh_secondid=9219171&fh_location=//catalog01/en_GB/categories%3C{9372012}/categories%3C{9372021}/categories%3C{9372064}/categories%3C{9512016}/specificationsProductType=engine_oils

I think I added more 2 stroke than I should have.

When the saw was refuelled, it initially started up then died 10 secs later; second try it started again, then same thing, and now it won't restart. This is most infuriating as I'm using the saw for badly needed firewood I have which needs chopped.

Any advice? Or have I used the wrong oil? Or wrong ratios?

Thanks

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

hi , when re starting the saw did you set the choke to full then pul the saw over untill t fired , then set the choke to half and again pull it fired and then started ? secondly it may be worth getting a bottle of stihl to stroke oil that measures out the right amount of oil for 5 litres of fuel .

If the saw runs out of fuel try starting it as from a cold start and prime it if it has a primer. When the fuel runs out there is no more fuel in the system so doing a cold start help get fuel back into the engine. I hope that is helpful.

You may also find that you flooded the system by mistake trying to start it so let it sit for a bit first.

Ok - but am I using the right oil to begin with? Just looking at the oil it does saw chain oil - this is the normal oil to which I add the two stroke?

TBH when I refilled it I put 100ml in then a small amount of 2 stroke; then added the rest from the bottle, and guessed (cringe) a small amount of 2 stroke afterwards. I know this is totally the wrong way to go about things and is very arse about face. Will the saw still run with inaccurate mixtures, just poorly?

Ok - but am I using the right oil to begin with? Just looking at the oil it does saw chain oil - this is the normal oil to which I add the two stroke?

TBH when I refilled it I put 100ml in then a small amount of 2 stroke; then added the rest from the bottle, and guessed (cringe) a small amount of 2 stroke afterwards. I know this is totally the wrong way to go about things and is very arse about face. Will the saw still run with inaccurate mixtures, just poorly?

So have you mixed the chain oil and 2stroke together?