Diy coffin

forestgough

Ive decided to try making my own log coffin,as a humerous and fitting tribute to a wonderful guy ect ect.I wonder if anyone else has had a go at this.

My idea is to use a single log,mill a flat bottom off it,then use the top slab as a natural lid,then hollow inside of log and reattach bottom board.Iknow it will be heavy,but I like the idea of some mates cursing me one last time as they push me to the crem ona loadall.

I made a coffin for my late brother in law. I made it from old scaffolding planks.

Now some may think this is not the nicest timber to make the 'final resting place' in but in my opinion that's wrong. Inside those old planks there is a beautiful white heart, it just needs reaching in the form of Mr Stenner's re-saw no 36"..... don't mill down the centre line, keep slightly offset. This will result in enough side boards thicker and bottom boards from four 13' long planks (there's enough strength to carry a 16 stone fellow). When the boards are split you can see the clean white timber, these are turned to the outside. I modelled the coffin on the traditional style such as seen in Wild West films. The coffin is then lined in the correct way with the legally required lining and the pretty cover for this lining can then be made from your choice.....silk, cotton, etc.

I have another customer but he is still going at present aged 83...:001_tongue:

codlasher

A friend if mine made his own when he found out he had cancer.

Steam bent boards in a simple flat bottomed boat sort of shape.

Then he made it stand on end, put some planks across and used it as bookshelves.

Luckily this was over 15 years ago and he's still reading, but it's there ready and patiently waiting.

Since having a go at hurdling, I've fancied weaving one. Come across someone who made their own coffin but didn't want it just propped in the corner waiting for its occupant; so he used it as a coffee table.

Cake and tea after the do could be different.

I made a coffin for my late brother in law. I made it from old scaffolding planks.

Now some may think this is not the nicest timber to make the 'final resting place' in but in my opinion that's wrong. Inside those old planks there is a beautiful white heart, it just needs reaching in the form of Mr Stenner's re-saw no 36"..... don't mill down the centre line, keep slightly offset. This will result in enough side boards thicker and bottom boards from four 13' long planks (there's enough strength to carry a 16 stone fellow). When the boards are split you can see the clean white timber, these are turned to the outside. I modelled the coffin on the traditional style such as seen in Wild West films. The coffin is then lined in the correct way with the legally required lining and the pretty cover for this lining can then be made from your choice.....silk, cotton, etc.

I have another customer but he is still going at present aged 83...:001_tongue:

codlasher

A friend of mine layed the upstairs floor in old scaffold planks and like you say, once sanded and treated, come up very nice.