Anyone run SAME tractors?

Matthew Storrs

Got two models I'm interested a Same silver 105 6 cylinder 2009, or Same Dorando 86 with a loader 56plate. going to be used for fencing work, I'm thinking the silver 105 maybe overkill for fencing operations. Anyone know anything about these models or the newer Same's in general. They seem good tractors and are very popular locally, quick on the road too.

I worked for Lamborghini dealer years ago basically the same thing

Nothing really a issue more than any other make! Bottom of the gear stick brakes if your to keen in your gear changing but should it brake it's about 25 minutes to change

O rings in the rear trumpet housing were sometimes a issue they seal the rear brake piston as they are fitted wet brake disc (run in oil) hold your foot on the pedal hard and see if the pedal slowly goes to the floor.

Check for any servicing history as things are moving fast when at road speed so rear end transmission oil and filters needs to be kept in check or the hydraulic pump suffers

Is it a chipper, is it a mower or another broken stump grinder who cares we'll fix it!

I worked for Lamborghini dealer years ago basically the same thing

Nothing really a issue more than any other make! Bottom of the gear stick brakes if your to keen in your gear changing but should it brake it's about 25 minutes to change

O rings in the rear trumpet housing were sometimes a issue they seal the rear brake piston as they are fitted wet brake disc (run in oil) hold your foot on the pedal hard and see if the pedal slowly goes to the floor.

Check for any servicing history as things are moving fast when at road speed so rear end transmission oil and filters needs to be kept in check or the hydraulic pump suffers

Is it a chipper, is it a mower or another broken stump grinder who cares we'll fix it!

Thanks for that, as it stands I couldn't really fault either them, the Dorando which I will probably go for has only done 1200 hours and the original tyres are about 90% so I don't think its done much work to be honest. Well impressed with the brakes, I'd say they are the best brakes I have ever tried on a tractor- even compared to some newish New Hollands Ive driven.

Do you mean durado 85 ?

I have run several an 80 explorer, 90 explorer 2, durado 70, a lambo 130, and had a 6 cylinder silver on hire.

They have all been exceptionally good tractors except the lambo which had been abused from new and I had to spend a fair bit getting it back in order but once done was a good tractor.

The brakes are excellent as they brake on front and rear, in general they will stop you pretty sharply.

Watch out for the loader size on the durado, I know of one that snapped in half because the dealer fitted too big a loader to it.

I would have thought a durado would be an excellent tractor for fence work, the 6 cylinder is probably overkill for the job, our durado was so economical on fuel it was unreal, when we hired the silver in it drank derv, although was working hard on a stone burrier.

I still have the 90 explorer 2 and it has nearly 10k hours on the clock, still runs sweet as, but we only use it for forklift work now.

Doubt you would go far wrong but as said above make sure it's had regular filter changes.

Has the durado got the power shift thingy box ?

Edited by scraggs

Do you mean durado 85 ?

I have run several an 80 explorer, 90 explorer 2, durado 70, a lambo 130, and had a 6 cylinder silver on hire.

They have all been exceptionally good tractors except the lambo which had been abused from new and I had to spend a fair bit getting it back in order but once done was a good tractor.

The brakes are excellent as they brake on front and rear, in general they will stop you pretty sharply.

Watch out for the loader size on the durado, I know of one that snapped in half because the dealer fitted too big a loader to it.

I would have thought a durado would be an excellent tractor for fence work, the 6 cylinder is probably overkill for the job, our durado was so economical on fuel it was unreal, when we hired the silver in it drank derv, although was working hard on a stone burrier.

I still have the 90 explorer 2 and it has nearly 10k hours on the clock, still runs sweet as, but we only use it for forklift work now.

Doubt you would go far wrong but as said above make sure it's had regular filter changes.

Has the durado got the power shift thingy box ?

Thanks for that informative post- very interested that the Silver drank the derv as that is one of the deciding factors against it, I do a fair bit of road work and find this is when tractors are at their thirstiest in my line of work.

Yes, the tractor is a durado is an 86 model- I believe its the newer version of the 85. It has a tekno loader fitted which if never heard of which concerns me, looks a well built loader-italian brand.

It has a mechanical shuttle. So you don't have to change gear just use the forward reverse lever, The Same silver has a clutchless electronic shuttle next to steering wheel.

I tried the dorado with my post knocker (which weighs 900kg) today, seemed stable enough despite the tractor only weighing 3500kg including the loader. I think without the loader it would be too light on steep ground.

I seem to remember an issue with the front wheel centres being a bit flimsy with a loader on, I would imagine that has been sorted now.

We used to run a blec 10ft seeder with all the extras and that weighed about 1500kg, it lifted it fine but needed 4 front weights to keep it down on the front.

The only thing I found with our durado was with the smaller wheel diameter compared to the explorers and silver it bounced about a lot on the road to the point where it was really uncomfortable some times.

Argh, I wish I could make my mind up http://ebowdenandsons.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2014/08/SAME-Dorado-86-002-1024x768.jpg

Here is the tractor, Silver is also on this site. Been dithering for the last few days but the dorado is getting a lot of interest so someone will probably snap it up before I make my mind up!

I guess I'm worried its going to be too light for fencing on steep ground which I do a lot of. I can get the wheels spaced out 4inches either side which might help on a side slope.

http://ebowdenandsons.co.uk/products-page/agricultural-tractors-machinery-used-2/same-dorado-86/

SAME is cheap and cheerful, you get a lot of tractor for the money. A lot of farmers don't like them because they want to impress their neighbours with JD's or Fendts etc.

We don't care about such things and have been running a fleet of SAME for more than 20 years I guess. Last non SAME we bought was a new IH784 so that puts some sort of date on it.

I snapped a gear lever off once but it was a long long time ago and hasn't happened since on any of them.

Can't think of any special faults other than dissolving bodywork on the sprayer tractors, probably due to the sprays.

Had a couple of them self combust due to wiring faults, that is about the worst thing I can think of.

Still got 5 of them on the place at the mo.

• Like 1