virgin internet speeds a big con

predator

i get in a morning 20 bits per second and thats great as i,am paying for that speed now on an evening when moochin around the net at this moment i get 0.17 yes your eyes are ok its 0.17 sloooooooooooooooower than dial up i bet it keeps dropping out to and have spent on and of speaking to someone on the other end of the world approx 3 years and at last got an engineer out tomorrow about 4pm to get it sorted out or i,am off somewhere else with my money etc its really got to me dealing with virgin as all i,ve done is go round n round n round my new name now is mr dr roby they cant even get my name rite its been mrs s roby mr s roby and now i,am a doctor lol i could scream at the top of my voice at them virgin,s a real pain for me anyway here is the only speedtest website that they will recognize >>> Speedtest.net by Ookla - The Global Broadband Speed Test try yours and i bet i,ve got the slooooooooooooooooest by far

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

It is because they run on a contention ration. Basically that means you will have a maximum connection speed that is available at quiet periods. At busy timeframes then every man and his dog wants connections the same bandwidth is used.

for example for every 1Gbps of capacity they have on their network they might sell 10Gbps to customers. That would be a 10:1 contention ratio. BUT if all 10 customers are on at the same time they would get 100Mbps.

Basically, it sounds like Virgin have been selling their connection without the backbone capacity to handle all the data traffic at busy times.

Is that bits not mbits ? that is dire We've been on Talk Talk for a few years now and I know some people call them but we have had no problems and only dropped the connection twice as far as I remember and never for more than an hour.

speedtest.JPG.48341a2932f494980a0bc89c10616447.JPG

i think i,am on old washing line for my cable etc i,ve even tried direct with ethernet cable in the back of laptop and its made not a jot of difference >>>> also while i was on hold on the phone listening to lady gaga etc a bloke came on and asked me did i want to upgrade to 100 gig or meg or what ever drives my pc its more like mud n old shite i get here atm rant over lol ps are you getting what your paying for though ?? here is mine

http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/3636982633

Edited by predator

Is that bits not mbits ? that is dire We've been on Talk Talk for a few years now and I know some people call them but we have had no problems and only dropped the connection twice as far as I remember and never for more than an hour.

Hi

TT is not bad at all, I connected a client once at over 5.8Km from the exchange (BT declined to connect) I used a DG834 which I tweaked a bit but he said connection was better than office 2Km from exchange.

N