First go at milling

Scott Walker

Well as I won the mini mill in this years raffle kindly donated by Rob D , I thought Id have a crack with it this morning on some Oak, I've never milled before but was impressed with the turn out for my first attempt if I say so myself. :thumbup:

1390651662579.jpg.447e023204f7682ed9cfdcd031a8a43a.jpg

1390651648681.jpg.1c7d6109935dc2f3386e9fb637b9ec35.jpg

Edited by Scott Walker

Well as I won the mini mill in this years raffle kindly donated by Rob D , I thought Id have a crack with it this morning on some Oak, I've never milled before but was impressed with the turn out for my first attempt if I say do myself. :thumbup:

Scott that looks fantasic:biggrin:

did you use a different chain for milling and is that a 372xp?

i really like what you have done there

Like me you must be thinking how much nice timber we have ringed up for logs:blushing:

do you mind me asking what make and what sort of money?

also how easy is it to mill :confused1:

Its actually a 371xp with a normal chain but they recommend a ripping chain. The mill is I believe the Alsakan mini mill as for price I dont know as I won it in the arbtalk raffle but Rod D on here sales them, I think the max bar the mini mill can take is a 20" so if buying one go for the bigger mill. I found it straight forward enough just read the instructions and looked at a couple of videos on YouTube. it does make you look at timber a different way as the Oak I milled was from my firewood heap.

Good work on the milling Scot, but you've got the chainsaw on upside down. The fuel and oil caps on the saw need to be facing up. It means you can refuel mid cut and also you want the chain pulling the saw into the log, not pushing it away.

J

Good work on the milling Scot, but you've got the chainsaw on upside down. The fuel and oil caps on the saw need to be facing up. It means you can refuel mid cut and also you want the chain pulling the saw into the log, not pushing it away.

J

Whoops :rolleyes: Thanks I'll know for nxt time now, obviously didn't read the instructions that well lol.

Very good effort.

For reference if anyone is looking at these, this is the small log mill.

The Alaskan cuts horizontally with a clamp at both the power head end and the nose end. This keeps things level.

The small log mill only has a clamp at the power head end. This means you can use more of the bar but the nose tends to drop. This means it is better suited to smaller saws with a maximum bar length of 20" and is always a bit less accurate on getting even thickness boards than the Alaskan.

The mini-mill works vertically and is good for edging up or quartering big trees, or for making square beams quickly with no rolling.

Alec