Comfortable harness for long periods chogging down large stems

Dom

Hi,

Was hoping someone might be able to recommend a good harness for wearing when spiking up large trees with heavy saws..

Currently using a petzl sequoia, which is absolutely great for fannying around the tree, but I find it bloody hurts after about 10 minutes up a big lump. Taking down a large beech today in 6ft sections today was no fun at all..

Guessing I need something with a larger more solid back support, would a rigid seat help? I'm also pretty miniature, so it'd need to be something that's made in a fairly small size..

Cheers

Woundnt wear anything else bar a tree motion now but I did have the skylotec before it and that was really good on your back when spiking specially with big saw as the back support is rreally solid and big. I would have a look at skylotec. Look at the click one as the one without the leg clips is a pain to put on and off. This is just my opinion :-)

how are you wearing your sequoia?

I wear mine low...below my belt line, and never have any discomfort chogging down with a big saw

Really? I always thought the higher it was the more it supports the back. Just my opinion and what the manual said.

Reading the manual was probably the mistake. :lol::lol:

I move the sequoia up and down as needed, sounds like I don't wear it as low down as you though Steve. It does feel like I need my weight to be supported under my arse so to speak, rather than around my hips.. Maybe one of those old school wide webbing harnesses with no leg loops..

Without making excuses, I think some of it is to do with me being a shortarse, so often in order to fit the chainsaw between my chest and the trunk, I'm leaning back a lot further than a taller guy would need to, so I'm at a more obtuse angle to the trunk and thus more pressure on my legs... if that makes sense. Spikes on stilts could be handy. Hopefully some enterprising manufacturers are listening.

Think I need to get myself down to a shop and try on what's available. Failing that I'll just invest in a good sky hook.

Sequoia for me, 5mins spent having a play getting it set up a bit better for you may help. One of my old lecturers used to climb with a sequioa and switch to a treemotion when he was going to be using a big saw for a decent length of time. Must be down to how they sit on each individual I reckon because I have no problem hanging a 66 off mine for a long time.